BusinessObjects Board

How to see Joins in Designer

Hello All guru,

I am usisng BO universe 6.5 SP4 for SQL Server. I have another universe for Oracle that is in PROD.

I want to compare both universe in order to replace Oracle to SQL Server. I also wanted to know no. of joins and alias used in Oracle and SQL universe.

Is there any way to see all joins and alias and compare with other universe in business Object 6.5 sp4.

Any help greatly appreciated.

regards,

Manoj

manojjkd (BOB member since 2009-08-03)

Go to file -> parameters, and look in the Summary tab, you’ll see a count of joins etc.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

Thanks for your quick reply cashworth,

But I am more querious on 1-1 (one to one) mapping between joins and alias. I want to differentiate all joins from Oracle universe and SQL Universe.

regards,

Manoj

Hi,

You have 2 options to see all joins in a universe:

1. Go to menu View -> List Mode. This will open a panel where the middle column contains all joins in the universe. The joins are sorted in the way as they were created in the universe.

2. Save the universe into the PDF format and check the PDF.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

That’ll work if you want more information :slight_smile:

Note that if you go to ‘Tools -> Options’ and open the ‘Print/PDF’ tab, you can select what information you want to see when you export/print the universe.

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

Thank you so much Marek Chladny and cashworth,

As per instruction of Marek, I cna able to get Alias (tables) and Joins.

again thanks for your quick response,

BOB forum is THE BEST.

One more question. Can I copy all the Alias and Joins in xls file and do the copmare with different universe’s Join and Alias?

I was trying to copy but it seems, Software not having facility to copy all alias and Joins.

waiting for reply.

Hi,

Use this utility to document your universes:

Then you can do a comparison in excel.

Hi,

I belive this will not work for my system. Since I don’t have xls installed in on my server. I need to copy only Alias and Joins from the universe, that I can see from view>list mode>

I need to copy all alias and joins from the Oracle universe and also from SQL universe and then with the help of Vlookup I can compare it.

I am very happy that you have given the tool which will collect all information about Universe.

regards,

Manoj

Did you read cashworth’s post?

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

I think you are getting confuse.

I need to COPY ONLY TABLE ALIAS AND JOINS from the Universe. I don’t want to change anything in universe. I know in Report if I want to copy result then I will select all and then go to Edit>copy all and paste it in xls on other server.

waiting for response.

You can run the universe documenting utility on your desktop if you have Excel there.

I am again going to simplyfy here.

1. BO 6.5 server A (no office installed)
  2. PC my machine B (Office Installed).

Can’t run universe utility on A bcasse no office installed, I can run Utility on B but no universe detect bcause BO is not installed in my machine B.

Now suggest me How should I can procced?

You can print the universe as a pdf file.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

Well, I think you’ve been given few advices already so now it’s up to you to check what’s possible and how to get what you are after.

I excuse if I can’t explain in briefly.

Simple it again. I have 2 universe …

1. for SQL servere and
  2. for Oracle

All universe is on Server A (No office .xls installed) Bo installed.
PC my local machine B havaing office and no BO installed.

It is very tough if I would like to see for all joins and table alias for more then 5000 joins and 6000 Table alias in PDF format. If no. of joins and alias less then 1000 then I could go one by one to check it. As I mentioned bfore also It is very easy to match all Alias and Join if I have in xls file but not in PDF. Is there any way that you can export all Joins in xls without utility tool. Because Utility tool requires office on the server that I don’t have it and also I can’t install office on it.

regards,

Under these conditions installing BO on your machine would be the best option. Otherwise you are out of luck, I think :?