BusinessObjects Board

How to resolve the cubes in the DataManager

when i view in the data manager i see 2 query cubes as suppose to be one cube in the dataprovider. As i have only one data provider connected thru ODBC. So How to resolve this?

sonnabh (BOB member since 2007-03-01)

You must be using a universe with multiple fact tables that allows Multiple SQL statements for Each Measure to be generated when the objects used can’t be logically used in a single SQL statement (i.e., to avoid a fan trap). The results of the two queries are then either JOINed or SYNCHRONIZEd.

This may mean that you do not have a well-designed universe, or you just need to be careful about how you use the universe, and how youcan check that the reports are producing the results you expect. You can read up on this in the Designer manual under “Resolving Join Problems”.

You can also read a couple of entries from our Designer FAQ for a brief summary:

What is a fan trap, why is it a problem, and how do I resolve it?

What is a chasm trap, why is it a problem, and how do I resolve it?

[Post Script – Based on the semi-duplicate question you posted in BusinessObjects Classic forum, which is now locked since it’s a cross-posting – it appears you may be getting Synchronized results.]

Joining is preferred if you have to do two queries. You get a JOIN with multiple SQL statements for each measure when all dimension objects are shared across contexts.

If you have a dimension object that is not shared (it belongs to say, only one context) you will see synchronization. There are limitations on which objects can be displayed together when contexts are synchronized (like unshared dimension from ONLY one context). It may be that this causes no problem at all.

However, you should confirm the results VERY carefully when you see synchronization.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks alot Anita for the valuable information!

sonnabh (BOB member since 2007-03-01)

Anita,
I am getting synchronization even thought my dimensions are shared between the fact tables that i was using in the report. IS there any work around for this?

I also have one dimension in the universe which is not related to one fact table, then i think this will cause synch problem right?

romanb4u :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

Correct.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Please clarify:
How can i resolve this “Synch” problem?
Under what scenarios will this Synch issue can give wrong data?

romanb4u :us: (BOB member since 2005-11-02)

There’s a good, similar discussion that has been going on in this other topic.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)