BusinessObjects Board

How to re-point a report to use another Universe

Some reports were built on a universe no longer available, however another new universe is built with all the table that were available in the old universe.

Can someone help me on how to repoint these reports to use the new universe.

Thanks

netcomputing (BOB member since 2004-10-14)

Hello netcomputing,

How are you ? Go to your report …
click on Data / View Data / Definition Tab

then look for box : Universe (With three dots …)

This will provide you with the List of Universe available in your Reporsitory / Local Universe Directory. Select the Universe you want.

Note: If you have lot of Report , there are macros available which will change the Universe for all of your reports. It could be found here https://bobj-board.org/t/16471

Hope this helps,
Sam.

samshaw :us: (BOB member since 2004-12-21)

You can only use that technique is if the original version of the universe is still available. BusinessObjects requires both versions of the universe to be available in order to map one object to the next, as the mapping is done by class and object name. They have to do it that way as there is no guarantee that the “old” and “new” object ID will be the same.

You can try to fake out the process by using the new universe and doing a “save as” and assigning the old name.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks for your sugguestion but I could not see the Universe with dots as per your description so I could not proceed further.

I can see view data/definition but definitely not on universe, if you don’t mind to show exactly where to repoint the universe

Thanks your description makes sense. Hopefuly is possible then pull the both ( old and new universes) together and maintain it one as one. But then which name do you think will assumed to work properly.

If don’t mind please elaborate on joining the universe, may be I will take this route to resolve the problem.

Thank again

You dont need to join any universes - you take the ‘new’ universe, save as the old uni name - You are attempting to fool BOB into thinking that there does exist a uni with the old uni name, and then (if the ‘old’ objects do exist in the ‘new-old’ uni and thus this method does fool BOB into thinking the this is the old uni) you will be able to repoint the report to the new uni (the box should be populated with the ‘old uni name’ so…

Remember to delete the ‘old name’ uni to avoid any confusion in the future…

Steve
(is that the ‘old’ or ‘new’ Steve?!)

snakeboy :uk: (BOB member since 2003-12-02)