BusinessObjects Board

How to migrate reports from CMC to BOXI

Hi,

We have migrated from Crystal reports to BOXI 3.1.
Basically I’m looking for a way to migrate the published .rpt files in Crystal management console to Business objects Infoview.
Do anyone know of a way to take backup of reports using CMC and then Import the same backup file in BOXI

Let me know

Thanks
Nikhil

nikhilkv83 (BOB member since 2012-02-17)

The CMC is part of BO XI - it is the managment console used by administrators while InfoView is the user interface.

If you’ve published the .rpt files, they should be visible in both unless security is set up in such a way that only administrators can see them.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

Hi Dell,

Thanks for your reply.
I didnt mean abt CMS or Infoview in BOXI.
I’m talking about legacy crystal web application “crystal mangement console”
We do have a couple of reports published in this app.
So I’m looking for a way to take backup of this and publish to CMS of BOXI
Hope that makes sense

Thanks
Nikhil

“CMC” means “Crystal Management Console” which is an interface into a number of different applications. So, is sounds like you either have an old version of Crystal Enterprise, which was the pre-cursor to BO in its current form, or you have some version of Crystal Server.

You have a couple of options.

1. If the Import Wizard from your 3.1 system will connect to the old system, you can use that to import your reports.

2. See whether the software will let you export to “Crystal Reports” format. If it will, do that, then open the report in your current version of Crystal, turn off “Save Data with Report”, and publish to your BO system.

3. See whether the software gives you a path to where the report template is located. If it does, go there, get the .rpt file (it will probably have a random name…), open the .rpt in Crystal and then publish it.

-Dell

Hi,

You are right .
we are using an old version of crystal enterprise.version 10.0

I have to check for option 1

I dont think the options 2 and 3 will work.The .rpt files are published to the enterprise.I know the locations for each of them but the problem here is I have around 500 reports published in to the enterprise portal.

So saving each of them and publishing again in new BO interface is gonna be time consuming
I’m looking for alternate ways.

Thanks
Nikhil

If option 1 does not work for you, your only alternatives are to either do it manually or write a program using the SDK that will do it for you. However, the challenge with that is going to be getting the correct report title. If you haven’t set the Title in the report properties in Crystal, your code would probably have to open the report and find the title in the header of the report, and it could be tricky to find the correct object for that.

-Dell

Hi Dell,

Option 1 really works for me.
Thanks for your guidance

However,I am having a strange issue regarding the format of report out put after migration.
Some of the reports in .xls format have misalignment of columns and headers.
I just checked the format in enterprise 10 and the selected format is excel(data only) with all options under it enabled.

Where as the same report when exported to BOXI,had the format as excel(data only) with only one option under it enabled.

I know that this only creating the alignement problem of headers
is there anyway i can export these options as well?

Let me know if that doesn’t make any sense

thanks
Nikhil

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this - the structure of underlying info in BusinessObjects is different from Crystal Enterprise, which is why the properties are not coming over correctly.

-Dell