BusinessObjects Board

how to make row level security in BO?

i want to know how to make row level security in BO? i mean that i have levels of security so the same report not all users can see, and there are levels , so is it doable or not???
thanks and best regards

RobeirSamir (BOB member since 2005-06-21)

I am not sure if I understand your question. If you are talking about for the same report, different people will see different contents based on their security level and permission, yes, it is doable. But the report has to be using Business View and not Universe.

If you are talking about something else, please ask again with more details.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

Row level security is set up in Supervisor.

So first you’ll need access to supervisor.

Tiny :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-11-10)

In Business Objects 6.x: Use row-level security which can be implemented via Supervisor or Designer. All published Business Objects documents must be purged, so that row-level security can be applied at runtime.

In Business Objects XI: Row-level security is implemented via Designer alone. All published Business Objects documents must be purged, so that row-level security can be applied at runtime.

Should be using Crystal Reports I believe there is a function that allows security to be dynamically applied as the report is being opened (no need for purging).

Keep in mind that as an alternative you can implement access control at the DBMS level instead - ask your DBA for more details on this, please.

Steve Krandel did a presentation regarding row-level security, you might want to do a search on BOB, keywords: row-level, author: Steve Krandel
or start with FAQ Supervisor.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

well, i want to know how to implement Row security? as i found that i have to wrtie a sql query wich is really very hard as i have alot of security levels? and how to know the whole level tree through BO?
thanks

RobeirSamir (BOB member since 2005-06-21)

Please, see this FAQ entry here to get you started.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Please let me know what does that mean by purge all published reports.

pkommidi (BOB member since 2006-03-10)

It means that they contain no data, only the ‘skeleton’ of the report - its layout and data providers.

[edit] move to CMC forum [/edit]

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)