BusinessObjects Board

how to dispaly the alert messages

Hi,

I have a requirement as below.

In the condition of the querypanel i have two conditions
1.Checks whether the user entered the start date and end date within the same year
2.Checks whether the user entered end date is greater than the start date.

Now i want to have some knid of alert message when either of the condition fails.
ie. if cond1 fails and cond2 is pass, the alert message has to be “Please enter the start and end date within the same year”

if cond2 fails and cond1 is pass, the alert message has to be “The end date has to be greater than the start date.”

Can anyone suggest how to dispaly the alert message when a condition fails.

Thanks in advance.

breeze_08 (BOB member since 2008-04-03)

Breeze,

theres no easy way to do this. There is no client side validation like javascript possible here in WEBI. So you have to fire the query with whatever prompts are entered.

On the report side though you can always check for the condition using report level filters and hide the data block and show an error block with your error message.
As far as I know this is the only way to implement any vaidations on prompts in webI.

Roshknee :india: (BOB member since 2007-10-29)

Roshknee,

Can you tell me this in detail.

breeze_08 (BOB member since 2008-04-03)

You can hide or show blocks based on prompt values, by unchecking the Show if Empty property, and using report level filters.

So you need to make a table with just your validation message in it - in red colour if you like, and add report filters to the table, with the conditions for which the error should show up. The Show if Empty for this table should be descelected. So in normal cases if the error condition is not met, it wont show up.

Id answered a post a while back on how to conditionally show a table or a chart based on the prompt value- you can extend it to your scenario.

Roshknee :india: (BOB member since 2007-10-29)