BusinessObjects Board

How to create Multiple Repositories

Hi All,
I am using BO 6.5 version.

I was attempting to create Multiple Repositories.
My Idea is to create 3 Repositories.
1.DEVELOPMENT
2.TEST
3.PRODUCTION.

I was successfull in creating Multiple Universe Domain in a Single Repository
1.dev_univ
2.test_univ
3.prod_univ.

So, how do I proceed to create multiple repositories.

1.would it be same supervisor for all the repositories or we need to create a new supervisor for each repository?

Thanks in advance.

GNK_BO (BOB member since 2007-07-17)

This isn’t a universe design question, so I will move it into the Supervisor forum. The first thing you need to do is understand the difference between domains and repositories. :slight_smile:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Separate repositories usually mean that each has an instance of the Security Domain tables plus at least one set of Universe/Document Domain tables.

They would typically be on different database servers – although it is conceivable that they could exist in different “partitions” of a given database server. In a Sybase server, they might be in different databases. In an Oracle server, they might be in different Schemas.

Is that what you’re asking?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

1. Just a question: Why are you “toying” with an outdated version 6.x instead of using XI R2?

2. If you wanted to create environments for DEV, TEST, and PROD for BusinessObjects ver 5.x/6.x the recommendation is to only create ONE security repository (which is referenced via the *.key file). Within that one security repository you create separate universe/document domains, one each for DEV, TEST, and PROD. This will allow you to use the Supervisor module to access all three universe/document domains at the same time and will make deployment of content (in particular WebIntelligence documents) from DEV–> TEST–> PROD easier.

As an (not recommended) alternative you could create 3 separate security repositories (one each for DEV, TEST, and PROD, each having their own *.key file), each with their own document and universe domain. This architecture will allow for a total separation of DEV, TEST, and PROD environments, but comes with a higher maintenance burden in particular when deploying content (WebIntelligence documents, universes, etc.) from DEV --> TEST --> PROD.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I allow myself to expose my point of view, have worked with organizations who present that scheme, repository of Development, repository of Test, and repository of Production, here more than nothing will depend on the policy of the user or organization, but of the equal most optimal way it is to have single repository with multiple domains… I believe that also it could be court favorite, but will depend on the necessities and policies of each user or organization again…

Greetings

KoRn_mAn :mexico: (BOB member since 2005-10-26)

Hi,

Maybe this FAQ could help you.

Regards