BusinessObjects Board

How to create cascading Prompts

HI,

My requirement is, I have two prompts in my report “Country” and “City”. So now if I enter the country prompt then only it should ask the city prompt. AND if I enter the country equal to “India” then the next city prompt should show only India cities in the selected list.

I thought it possible in the universe level with cascading prompts, so please help me how to create cascading prompts or please tell me if you know any other way?

I am using BOXIR2, Oracle 10g

srinu.bos (BOB member since 2007-06-06)

It certainly is possible. The functionality that you want in Designer is:

Tools → List of Values → Create Cascading List of Values

Regards,
Mark

Try this post.

https://bobj-board.org/t/15227/8

Rakesh_K :india: (BOB member since 2007-12-11)

The solution suggested by Mark is for BO XI R2 and will work perfectly. In this version, we don’t need to create it manually as the link suggests.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Hi Mark,
I tried in BO3.1 and when I ever click on Generate LOV’s the designer is kicked out.

Other way of creating cascading prompts by editing Objects has been done, but the values are not coming properly.
3. City
2. State

1. Country

When I choose 1. US 2.DE 3.City = Newark
in the output, I do get multiple states which has ‘Newark’ like example ‘CA’;‘DE’;
Why am I getting multiple values for single city, didn’t I create proper cascading prompt using objects?

Please suggest.
Thank you

Mond (BOB member since 2006-07-31)

That’s the way it works. Only the last item selected (city in your case) is actually added to the query conditions. In order to generate a correct result, you can either try setting up index awareness (so that the condition is based on city_id and not city name) or concatenated values (where the combination of state + city is used as a condition instead).

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the quick response.
If I am doing index awareness, how can I prompt the user with City Name.
As you suggested, I should do concatenation which will be messy in our LOV’s.

To add one more point, I am creating the cascading prompt on a Oracle view, which doesn’t have any Id’s.

Please input your thoughts.
Thankyou

If you don’t have any ID values available, then index awareness is not an option. The only remaining choice that I am currently aware of is to do concatenation. Since your final selection (city) is not unique, the behavior you describe is what you’re going to get.

With Crystal you can access the different prompt levels and add a condition on state and city separately. With Webi and Deski you only get access to the last selection (city).

Hi Dave,
Thank you for valuable info as always.

Actually, I was trying for creating Cascading prompt using Designer
functionality (Tools > List of Values > Create Cascading List of Values >)

I got kicked out multiple times using this in BO3.1 version.

I understood that with out the city_id , i cannot carry forward with the prompt.

other question is, how would i display the multiple user response(s) in the block what they selected.

Thank you.

HI,

Thanks for this help.
This create cascading lov is working fine for me (boxir2), its giving proper results.
So my question is, How to “edit” or “delete” the created cascading prompts?

Have a nice day to all.

srinu.bos (BOB member since 2007-06-06)

Go to each object, double-click, go to the Properties tab, click the Edit option on the LOV, and edit the query to fit your needs. Usually it’s just removing a prompt in this case.

Check this SAP video for Create a Cascading List of Values

[Moderator Edit: The posted link requires SCN membership in order to view.]

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)