BusinessObjects Board

How to copy variable objects & tables frm 1 rpt to anoth

[Michael moved this from Setting Up Regional User Groups to Reporter]

How do I copy report variable objects and/or tables c/w data frm 1 rpt to another?

Cheers

Brian :confused:

Naughtyb (BOB member since 2003-09-12)

Hi, Brian;

Welcome to BOB. :mrgreen:

We have a script available here on BOB that will do just what you’re looking for. See if that helps.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

That add-in copies data providers and report variables, but doesn’t copy tables. Just wanted to point that out.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Do you mean one report to another? If so, there’s nothing to do. Variables are created at the document level, and therefore are available for any report. A table can be copied with copy / paste.

But if you mean from one document to another, then the script from BOB’s Downloads is the way to go.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I would still be interested in the answer to this question regarding tables. You cannot simply copy and paste from one report FILE to another. You can copy from one report “tab” to another within the same report file. But is there any way to copy a table from report1.rep to report2.rep?

RLewis (BOB member since 2003-09-16)

Not easily. The table is merely a presentation of the data. If you want to copy the presentation (meaning formatting) you can use a template. So that’s a feature that’s already in the product.

But there is no direct way to copy a table with the underlying data to another document. You would first have to duplicate the query (perhaps using the macro here in BOB’s Downloads) and then use a template to move the formatting.

Dave

Thanks for your reply. It’s the not the data I’m trying to copy, but the formulas and layout. I can use a template for the layout, but it looks like I’m out of luck on the formulas.

RLewis (BOB member since 2003-09-16)

Templates can be used to copy / move formulas as well. When you apply a template, click the Options button. There are a number of choices related to variables. 8)

Dave

I copy variable all the time from one document to the other. Not sure why you are having a problem. I just click on the cell and copy, then go the the other report and paste. As long as you have all the data elements in the new report, you will see the variable. If not, go to data/variables and look, it would be there with an exclamation point. If so, either the old report has the field in multiple data providers and the new report only has one, so the name is a little off, or, you are missing a field in the new report. You can also use the dataprovider utility to copy an entire report to another document.

Scott Bowers :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-30)