BusinessObjects Board

How to avoid one table overlapping the second table.

I did a search on this unsuccessfully.

I have a report that contains two tables, one for current clients, the other for old (terminated) clients. Both tables are in the same section.

If the first table (current clients) grows, it invades the second table.
How would I set the attributes to let the first table grow in length without overlapping the second table.

Thank you in advance.

souhlaj (BOB member since 2005-07-26)

You can position a table relative to another table.

First rename your tables to “Table1” and “Table2” respectively by selecting them, selecting “Format > Table” and selecting the “General” tab. Give them a name in the “Name” box.

Then, select Table2, select “Format > Table” and select the “Appearance” tab. From the “Vertical position relative to” dropdown, select “Table1”. In the box next to it, put the number 3.

:stuck_out_tongue:

jac :australia: (BOB member since 2005-05-10)

You can do this by going to Structure Mode in reporter…

You can check exactly whether they are overlapping or not… If they are then Move the first table to your desired position in the page, and put the second table right under the first with a small gap between them.

This should help

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Hi Irfan,

This will only work if Table1 doesn’t grow too much. :!: The method I suggested above will handle such situations.

FAQ Entry :slight_smile:

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

jac, Thanks for the advice.

There is one other concern. My report has a “title” section for our clients and now each of the two tables is showing data for each title.

I need to show all active clients for all titles in the first part of the report and data for all inactive (terminated) clients in the second part of the report.

Basically I want to show all active clients first (table 1) and all inactive clients (tables 2) after that.

Both tables are ccurrently in the title section.

Thanks again. …Jim

Hi Jim,

You could apply filters to table1 and table2. Select the table, select “Format > Filters” click on “Add”, select the dimension that defines the status (ie active/inactive) etc

jac…That’s exactly what I am doing…(adding filters)…I just need to find a way to show all from Table 1 first then all from table 2 last, with no overlapping…

I appreciate your quick response and time on this.

Right… I am a little confused now. I would have thought my first suggestion would have sorted you out. There must be another requirement I’m not understanding. What did you mean by “title” section? Can you use Business Objects terminology to avoid confusion? Do you mean you have set something as master? Maybe you could attach the report. I am on v5.1.8 so hopefully you are not on v6 or above :?

Yes, my section is Title and my master cell is the “TitleDescription”.

I then show all data for Title “A”, all data for Title “B” etc…

I need to only show all active clients for Title “A”, all active clients for Title “B”, etc…

Then all inactive clients for Title “A”, all inactive clients for Title “B”, etc…

ok… you could:

Have the title description as section header, with two tables in each section, positioned relative to each other as previously described, with filters applied.

or

Have the title description as section header, with one table in each section, with filter applied for “active”. Rename the report tab to “Active”. Then duplicate the report tab (by right clicking on it). Rename the duplicate to “Inactive”. Edit the filter to inactive. Done.

Any good?