BusinessObjects Board

How to avoid duplicate objects ?

In my universe, I am not allowed to use any Alias (so funny!). This is because they (the end users–they have the access at the WEBI) get duplicate objects which they don’t like. No duplication of objects at the report level. Our old BO experts and management tried to convince them that this is a normal procedure of desiging. But they are not happy with that. I can use context for loops and Chasm traps, but what will happen for Fan trap ? There will be definitely some fan traps, I am sure as there are 22 fact tables and 2 aggregate tables out of total 43 tables. I already told the management about this. They told me to convince the users. I don’t know what will I do. Do you have any idea?

HK

HK1979 (BOB member since 2007-05-18)

This has been discussed so many times, that we have this Sticky at the top of the Semantic Layer forum.

If your users don’t let you use aliases in the way they were intended, they’re asking for trouble. They’re part of the product in just the same way as you’d alias a table in native SQL, if necessary, in order to use a reference/dimension table for different purposes.

How would you solve this sort of problem in native SQL?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)