BusinessObjects Board

How do I restrict access to folders to specific users

Hello,

I have found many useful stuff in this great place but as only moderators can post in that Section of Security and Administration then I will post here.

Does anyone know where I can find a possible tutorial on how to restrict access to folders for certain users?

Example: Financial and Human resources have a folder for each department containing reports, so Financial will only access its folder and the same applies to Human resources.

I’m struggling to create such rule in BO XI 3.1 however it does not seem to be as logical as the Administrator Manual says it is. The users I have created can’t even see a single folder actually. :frowning:

Thank you for any hint on how to solve this problem of mine.

SOLID SNAKE (BOB member since 2011-08-12)

Welcome to B:bob:B! [Moderator Note: Moved to CMC - Jansi]
You can post in CMC as this is talking about BO XI 3.x.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

https://bobj-board.org/t/119849

Is a very good place to get started on security…

P.S. you should restrict groups rather than individual users.

You should check your “everyone” group rights.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Check to make sure that the users have view rights to the root folder. I typically set up the Everyone group to have View rights on the root folder and make it so it applies only to the root folder object and no sub-objects. Since I use this type of right pretty often I create a custom access level that includes only the granular View right and set it up to only apply to objects and no sub-objects.

clarence (BOB member since 2005-11-18)

Jansi, thanks for moving the topic to the right place, later on I realized the “options” bellow Security and User Administration. :lol:

I’d like to thank Mak1 and Clarence for their contribution, now it is possible to view the folders, but as I am changing settings in a working environment I am trying to be careful on what I’m doing. I believe now I will be able to start planning all the access rules for each user properly.

I am very grateful to Everyone. God bless :mrgreen:

Hello again Colleagues, I was wondering if there is a document detailing every option of security of the Included Rights part (General, Content, Application and System), in other words, a document that does explain the effects of using a specific option.

Due to the valuable contributions I was able to achieve the objective of my first post, later on for testing purposes I copied a webi report (owner: Admin) as Admin to a certain folder of the new user and logged in with such user, however I had problems when trying to save the file in InfoView:

“your security profile does not allows you to save the document in the specified location”

Well, I tried these option in my Custom rule and it seems they were the ones preventing me from saving/overwriting the document in InfoView:

Securely modify rights users have to objects that the user owns.
Securely modify rights users have to objects.

Edit: perhaps it has to do with “Copy objects to another folder” as I’ve just tried only this option enabled in another testing user and different custom access level for this user, the funny thing is that on the user i mentioned above I disabled almost everything and it seemed he could keep saving/overwriting even so … this guessing game is irritating me :lol:

For now I’ve got the following objectives:

• enable this limited user to create webi reports (I haven’t seen options for enabling it in Application section of InfoView rights) Edit: solution at Access levels - Creating a Web Intelligence Document … I can’t forget that virtually speaking Everything is an object :bob:
  • rights for accessing Designer (universes creation) - Edit: Done, Added the user in Universe Designer Users group, but it can see all the folders containing other universes.
  • I suppose I will need to allow such user to create connections, so that’s another point to look at. Being part of Universe Designer Users group solves this problem I believe.
  • new objective, Find out which Right is preventing me from exporting a report to CMS, the report was made in WebI rich client as I receive a message my profile does not allow me to export on the own user’s folder (this part is fine via Infoview)

As you guys have noticed this user has the role of a Developer.

Comments or suggestions will be very appreciated,

Thank you very much. :slight_smile: