BusinessObjects Board

How do I make a report aware of login credentials used?

I’m a new member and I’m really blown away by the knowledge of the members of this forum! I bet that someone will be able to answer my question with no sweat.

Is it possible to have multiple infoview or webi users login and run a common report and yet see different results (based on their login)? The report would be something like a Sales Report and the users would be managers of regions across the country. Jeff might be the California manager, so when he runs the sales report he sees only California’s data. Another salesperson would see only the data pertaining to his own region.

Now I know that I can have the user choose their region manually via a parameter, but I’d like the report to “know” what region is their’s and show them only that data automatically. That’s to keep managers from seeing eachothers data.

There must be some way of mapping usernames to other information like “region” and then filtering on that mapped data. But how? That relationship does not exist in our database (Progress), so should I create an Access DB or something to relate Username to Region? If so, what command or method is used to tell the report that “‘Jeff’ just logged in, so please go find which region Jeff belongs to and then filter by that region”?

As you can see, I’m new to this and can’t even conceive which direction to go. I’m in debt to anyone who can shed some elementary light on this.

I’m using BO XI.

mmeister55 (BOB member since 2008-03-10)

Hi,
You can do the row level security.
Say your reginal manager for the eastern part of the US, then in the manage securities in BO XI R2 designer assign row level security as region=‘EASTERN’,against a fact table column region.
You can speak to the designer for this.

Hope this helps you out.

Omkar Paranjpe :us: (BOB member since 2006-02-13)

I just posted another solution (today) that utilizes a (derived) table instead of using the row level security.

Search for derived…[/url]

pullesb :us: (BOB member since 2006-10-02)

Thanks omkar and pullesb. I will give that a try. Unfortunately there’s no Designer here other than me to ask about row security. I’m the designer, and it’s my first universe.

So I’ll see if I can figure out the row security solution, and I’ll look into using a derived table too.

Thanks again.

mmeister55 (BOB member since 2008-03-10)

Hi mmeister55 and welcome to B:bob:B!

Have also a look at Using Designer to Implement Row-Level Security presentation from Steve Krandel.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

you can make the report have the content of the credentials used

Ofcourse not the password but the username can be used in the report

make a variable that equals the (=Currentuser)

This is one eg

You can do the such a thing with the report

…like you have got data of some manger to be showing

then if the variable should be like if user=this this then

show this data…

Peace
::::)))))))))))))))))0

komal rai (BOB member since 2012-04-09)

…that would quickly become onerous with multiple users and groups - in fact it would be a nightmare keeping track of it, with new joiners, people moving positions, leaving, etc! Why reinvent the wheel?

HTH

mcnelson :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-09)