BusinessObjects Board

How can i remove "No data to fetch" error message

[Moderator Edit: Title spelling corrected from “fect” to “fetch” to aid in future Searches.]

Hi,
Whenever a quesry returns null , BO dispalys no data to fetch error message window. Is there any way by which i can stop bo from showing this window ?
Im using a report with 2 query providers and i do not want to see this error window even if one of the query providers returns no result.

Thanks in Advance.

trahul4 :singapore: (BOB member since 2006-06-08)

If you had searched the Reporter FAQs, you would have found this, which might help :wink:

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for the link Nick.

Hi,
Im having a hard time in understanding hte second way that has been suggested. Can anybody please tell me the correct steps?

Thanks.

The correct steps are perfectly described in the topic suggested by Nick. Only minor thing is that you need to do some alterations in your universe or do some FreeHandSQL. What part don’t you understand?

jobjoris :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

I got the 3 rd method correctly. Using self join in another context.

There is another way you can display friendly message if no rows are retrieved. The only drawback is it doesn’t suppress “no data to fetch dialog box”. Instead, the custom message will display only after clicking OK button of “no data to fetch” dialog box.

Add a free standing cell to your report.
Place it on top of your table or chart.
Type a message in the cell
Format cell (Alignment -> Settings -> Wrap Text )
Go to Appearance -> check hide cell
Type a formula

=Not isnull (<variable>) 

Click ok

kool :nepal: (BOB member since 2005-04-15)

An alternate way of doing it is discussed in this post, the technique used is show/hide tables.

https://bobj-board.org/t/67725

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Hi All,
Thank you very much for your inputs.
As i said earlier i could solve this by using the 3 rd method in the FAQ i.e Using self join in another context. As this is an immediate requirement for me and as i was running out of time, i could not try around with other methods. Will try other methods over the weekend and let you all know if i find something new.
Once again Thanks for all your inputs.
Regards.