BusinessObjects Board

How can i migrate 6.5.1 ver to BOXIR2?

Hi, Everyone.
I need to migrate 6.5.1 to BOXIR2. How easy to handle it? Can anyone have some experience to do that?
Thank You.
Neil , BO Developer
ninan18@yahoo.com

nilforumtopics :us: (BOB member since 2007-03-06)

I’ve done quite a few migrations. It’s not as easy as they say. :roll_eyes: Depending on the complexity of your deployment, you might want to bring in an experienced consultant to help out.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Thank You
I appreciate your help.

nilforumtopics :us: (BOB member since 2007-03-06)

I concur. XI is based on the Crystal architecture. Unless you have experience in Crystal Enterprise 10, you pretty much have to de-learn and re-learn everything…administration-wise.

If your system is large and complex, you should bring in consultant(s) to help you. It is not going to be a walk in the park for sure.

I also highly recommend you to take the SA210R2, SA310R2 and SA410R2 classes. You will need those training. And be sure to take the instructor-led classes and not the on-line classes.

Hope this helps.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

I hope to have a document in BOB’s downloads this weekend.
Also read: http://bobjects.com/migration/nuts_and_bolts3/Migration_Tools_v7.pdf

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Mike,

Waiting for that document in BOB’s download. Many of us would benefit from that.

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Mark

BOXI_Learner :india: (BOB member since 2004-10-08)

The actual migration using the Import Wizard is the easy bit! Planning and post-import validation are the hard bits. I’m part of a team that has perfomed around 30 migrations and currently working on one with 26000 users. There are so many factors to consider and in addition to attending the core XI courses you would do well to attend the SA650 Migration course (3 days).

On the BO site:

http://support.businessobjects.com/migration/boxir2/default.asp?

The migration documents are on the whole very useful.

Blueprinter (BOB member since 2005-12-07)

Hi,

Migrate to Xir2 is a classical Business Objects project except for two significant points inherited from Crystal : security and architecture.

Concerning security you can find a lot of posts on this topic.

Have a look to this one first where you can find two presentations on new security concepts.

Regards

Hopefully this evening - I had to scratch around for some supporting documents e.g. I have spreadsheets that contain all the 6.5 security options and another for XI - they come in handy when figuring out what’s changed re s/w rights.
I’m also leaving the US in 2 weeks - so documentation is kinda wearing me down these days lol.

I’ve submitted the plan to BOB’s uploads - please note that the dates are left over from a project I had where I had to juggle alot more re limited servers.
i.e. I had to remove a large server shuffling / cycling entity, so keep that in mind - it’s to be used as a guide!

I hate to keep people waiting, so I’ve approved it and moved it to BOB’s Downloads. You can view it here.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Oh yea of much faith lol - Thanks Michael - my mail box will get some rest now :yesnod: