BusinessObjects Board

How can I change the universe name from a data provider?

I’ve a report with several data providers, and I need to change the universe name from these data providers. The problem is that trying to do that through the menu Data Manager\Definition (tab)\Universe I get the error message “Unhandled Exception Code: c0000005 Description: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION”. Is there another way to do this change?

Thanks,

Schuster :united_arab_emirates: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Hi :slight_smile: ,

How 'bout SDK to accomplish it :?: Olivier and myself were working on that sometime back. Here is that thread:-

Sri
:wave:

Sridharan :india: (BOB member since 2002-11-08)

but the problem is that my data providers are assigned to a universe that doesn’t exists in the current repository. Changing the name from the menu or from your code I always get the message “Cannot find the “OldUniverseName” universe. (DA0011)”, and the new name is not changed.

So first you’ve gotta copy a dummy universe with the OldName to the correct folder and then try changing it. Otherwise you are bound to get that Error Message and cannot change the Universe.

Good Luck
Sri
:wave:

Sridharan :india: (BOB member since 2002-11-08)

You cannot use a dummy universe because, I don’t know why, but BO checks the old universe, and if you are using an empty universe you get “Some obsolete objects have been removed from the query (QP0027)” and your data providers lose all fields. Anyway, this is the way to do the change, but the previous universe is necessary,

See this thread for future reference.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

By “dummy universe” we don’t mean an empty universe. Copy the universe that you are moving to and rename it to the “old” universe. That way you essentially have two copies of the same universe. But you have to have the “original” universe before you can move to the “new” universe because of the way that BusObj maps the objects.

As far as the exception problem, Nick’s topic will provide some info on that.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Yes Dave, IÂ’ve done that, duplicate the current universe and changing the name. IÂ’ve assumed dummy as anything, like empty for example (my english is very basic :oops: ). Thanks for your comments,