BusinessObjects Board

Hours between two times?

I have a report which has workers time of arrival and time of departure in it and I need to add a variable which shows how many hours and minutes the worker was there for.

I have tried =- but I just get an error message - Incorrect data type. :confused:

The fields are date/time in the format HH:mm

Can anyone help with this?

Sue :uk: (BOB member since 2003-07-31)

What do you get if you use Daysbetween(,) ? Do you get a fraction of a day, if so could you manipulate this into the desired HH:mm format?

Paul Shovlar :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-05)

Same problem, I still get the error message Incorrect data type :nonod:

This post provides a good solution

:confused: I am still struggling with this.

My understanding of this posting is that inorder to get how many hours there are between two times in BO I have to turn each of the times into text, separate the hours from the minutes and multiply the hours by 60 and then do the calculation. It all seems very odd , and I can’t get it to work anyway :nonod:

Basically Yes :frowning:

If you have access to the Business Objects support site a similar solution is put forward in Resolution Entry 11374

I don’t have access to this site.

Hello Blackburn, ah the wrong side of the Pennines, never mind :yesnod:
You could try FAQ: Reporter but perhaps it might be better saying what problems you have when you split the time into its individual components as per the previous link that Paul posted. Try building it up a bit at a time…thats how I do it.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I think I’ve cracked it at last. Using the formula below I was able to get the number of hours between the two times:

=(((ToNumber(SubStr(<SBK_To> ,1 ,2))*60)+(ToNumber(SubStr(<SBK_To> ,4 ,2))))-((ToNumber(SubStr(<SBK_From> ,1 ,2))*60)+(ToNumber(SubStr(<SBK_From> ,4 ,2)))))/60

Thanks for your help. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sue,

Have a look at the report that I have sent.

If it works, I’ll post the code to this thread.

Regards,
Mark

Mark,

This works a treat once I take out the format date bit in the depart and arrivemins formulas

Thanks my report is working well now.

Example and code below.

Emplyoeeid  Id          Arrive      Departmins    ArriveMins      Depart         TimeDiff
bob          1          09:44          1023          584          17:03          07:19
dick         3          14:00          1196          840          19:56          05:56
harry        4          11:09          1029          669          17:09          06:00
tom          2          08:12          803           492          13:23          05:11

Employeeid and ID are dimension to identify staff
Arrive is arrival time on the same day as Depart, the departure time

Now the good bits:
Departmins

=ToNumber(SubStr(FormatDate(<Depart> ,"HH:mm") ,4 ,2))+((ToNumber(SubStr(FormatDate(<Depart> ,"HH:mm") ,1 ,2)))*60)

Arrivemins

=ToNumber(SubStr(FormatDate(<Arrive> ,"HH:mm") ,4 ,2))+((ToNumber(SubStr(FormatDate(<Arrive> ,"HH:mm") ,1 ,2)))*60)

TimeDiff

=FormatNumber( (Floor((<Departmins>-<ArriveMins>)/60))  ,"00")&amp;":"&amp;FormatNumber( (Mod((<Departmins>-<ArriveMins>) ,60))  ,"00")

CAVEAT: I provide no guarantee that this will work if Depart is not greater than AND ON THE SAME DAY AS Arrive.

Regards,
Mark

You could also use the datediff function if it is available. You can specify hours hour minutes.

datediff(minute,arrivaltime,departuretime) or

datediff(hour,arrivaltime,departuretime)

timberjack :us: (BOB member since 2003-07-09)

Hi,

the solution already suggested has worked fine for me. It’s only drawdack is it is a bit long winded, but then again I don’t need to do this much so it’s not too bad.

I have never heard of the datediff function and it does not appear on the list of available functions. I am using 5.1.2 is this available only in later versions of BO or is there something missing from my current installation of BO???

As far as I know Sue, datediff is a SQL Server function. If you are using Oracle, it won’t help you.

Or take a look at these thread: Variance calculation and Can I create a Variable, and use a Function?.

In these threads Ken Gaul has written a DLL that you can add to BO, which will add a new BO Reporter function to calculate date/time differences.

Ken can and do you want to share your code with BOB?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)