BusinessObjects Board

Hierarchy double count

I have a unique scenario in BO hierarchy. I have table A, table B and table C which are in parent child relationships like A B C. Now the relationships are stored in table D.

In most of the scenarios, we have one to one parent child relation in tables A,B and C with table D, while in same scenario : 1 value from table A can have more than 1 values in table B and these leads to incorrect results. The data in database is like that.

Is there any possible way to avoid these double count in business objects. I am using BO XI 3.1

Tech gurus please help.
:hb: :hb:

lakshay1231 (BOB member since 2012-06-07)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

If I understand you correctly, then you are experiencing so called fan trap.

Please check this Designer’s FAQ for how to solve a fan trap:

Also, search the forum as there has been many discussions about a fan trap and how to solve it.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Hi,

This is not related to Fan trap as I am setting up the hierarchy level data with other relationship table.

lakshay1231 (BOB member since 2012-06-07)

Then the above is not true :?

Can you provide more details? With data sample, current results and required results?

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

A) Use a COUNT DISTANICT with Database Delegated
B) Review your hierarchy: if you are storing parent nodes and child nodes with separate foreign keys in your fact table you will get an incorrect inflation of your facts. In other words your data structure SHOULD look like this:

Parent node --< Child nodes Level 1 --< child nodes level 2 --< … --< Leaf nodes --< FACT table
No key from the parent node should be found in your fact table, only the keys of leaves should be found in your fact table.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)