BusinessObjects Board

Hidden objects visible in WebI

I’ve had this issue persistently when migrating from 3.x to 4.x. Like you, I had to create a class and hide the class. Once in 4.x alone, it seems to be OK.

But I’m finding other migration bugs too. List of values for example. An LOV from 3.x won’t regenerate in 4.x - even if the users tries to refresh it. I’m having to manually regenerate all my LOVs in 4.x.

I don’t think the migration wizard it’s all it’s cracked up to me when migrating between versions!

Debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

But we are on 3.1 and are not migrating, just having an issue in general with this when creating reports, that I can’t get WebI to hide my classes and objects.

ebeth (BOB member since 2012-10-31)

I discovered now that in some of my universes, classes that have been hidden actually get hidden in WebI, but in other universes this is not the case :crazy_face:

What can I do to make them be hidden as intended everywhere…?

I would imagine that these have been hidden when using other service packs.

You are sure that your client is at the same patch level as the server?
In addition, am I remembering correctly that you have had minor universe corruption issues before?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Thank you for your answer, Mark.

This is the same universe that has caused head ache before, but I seem to have found a fix for those problems.

This problem with hidden/shown objects are the same with us and our clients that use the universes (on misc. SPs). It’s only a problem in this one universe, and not in others we have where the hide has been done in the same SP (parallell development).

It’s not a huge problem as the objects we are hiding are mostly for use for supporting other objects, calling procedures and such, but it’s confusing for clients with these classes (and some individual objects in shown classes) that they don’t have any use for.

Hopefully, the development that you do is on the same SP client tools as the clients are on.
Does sound like an issue with that particular SP though…

We are on XI 3.1 SP6 currently. Is SP7 the latest one? And do you think it would help upgrading?

Check here:- Release Notes / Fixed Issues

Thank you for that helpful link, Mark. Unfortunately not mentioned for SP7 :frowning: As it is only a problem in one of our universes, and only for WebI and not DeskI, maybe nobody else has come across it either.

Nudging this one to see if anyone might have an idea for a workaround or something…

Are you using Webi Rich Client or Web Client? If Web Client, Java or HTML?
Have you tried opening a case with SAP?

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

I’ve used Rich Client. SAP says our universe is too large and that we will experience corruption because of this.

****!

My experience is that hidden Objects are very flakey in v3.1

If you have a Class of hidden Objects they remain hidden when creating a report from scratch. However, if you open the query panel in a report that uses previously visible Objects (now hidden), they remain visible and available to use in new queries.

anorak :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

Whatever :roll_eyes: ! Thing is, there are many people that have had issues with hidden objects in 4x, not all thier universe can be too big!

Just out of curiosity, what qualifies as large?

MBLM :netherlands: (BOB member since 2014-01-31)

Really? How big is it? Do you have a lot of text in the object descriptions?

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

It’s 8MB. There’s not a lot of text in the descriptions, no.

We have over 11K objects and 2.5K joins.

:blue:

How on earth do you maintain something that size?

Debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

We’ve tried splitting it up, but the clients would have to combine so many universes for most reports, as it’s a complicated business area where most reports span over several “sub-areas”. And other than the product not being able to cope with the universe size, it would probably mean more maintenance having 22 universes with 500 objects in each :crazy_face:

16,000 objects is the most I have seen.
Unsure of the size, but was mainly OLTP tables with a few reporting aggregates thrown in.

They were a large gaming site, so you can imagine the complexity :).

Horrible :twisted: .