BusinessObjects Board

Help - trying to figure security and I've hidden a folder

Help! I was trying to set a security plan on my BO XI 3 system and i’ve somehow removed view permissions from myself (an Admin) I’m new to BO and somehow it was thought that I would be good at admin duties with no hands on. This is in a test environment so it’s not critical data but I would like to know how I can get back what was just there. I was playing around with permissions. the root of the folder that i was playing with has everyone with view, Admin with full Advanced (basically full ctrl)
and an App_user that has no defined roles. I don’t think I’ve deleted the folder because when I try to add one with same name it tells me it already exists.
Let me know if there’s more info needed. I feel kinda dumb but it is the first time I’ve had a chance to do much in it.

superduty455 :us: (BOB member since 2010-02-23)

You cannot delete any root folder or root group …

Log on the CMC using the Administrator account itself and you should be able to reset the rights you setup on the Everyone group and on the administrators group.

I’ll have to get a higher level person to log in with that. it’s just weird though. I am in the Administrator Group, but I can’t see the folder. It still exists, because I can’t create a new one with same name. but I can’t view it.

You are in administrator group. But you are not administrator with full control.
Administrator restricted the folder no to access what ever you want to create. So how can you/everyone creates the existing folder even if the folder hide?
Your question is not correct or the way you are practice is not correct.

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)

I have gotten the Administrator account and fixed what issues I cause earlier. But now comes the task of figuring out how to arrange securty correctly.

What is your required securty to arrange?

Arjun (BOB member since 2008-07-28)

Well Basically I have two Sub folders. say A and B ( for now) under a Folder Called Applications. I want two groups to have access to Applications and then Group A only to Folder A, and B ony to B. I took a class on BO XI r2 but we have R3 and security setup is not working the same way. And am a little confused as to why. Any insight ?

Did you setup first your security within an Excel matrix? have a look to these posts to find info regarding the new security model.

Yeah I’ve got the matrix but still having a little hard time making out what I need to do to get it to work.

It sounds like you have “Explicitly Deny” turned on for another of your groups. You really shouldn’t use this setting. Check the permissions for the other groups you are in for the same object.

gobrien :us: (BOB member since 2008-03-14)

As stated correctly above … Goups A and B might be member of any other group which has denied rights to this application. Please check once.

sumit_agr (BOB member since 2008-03-05)