BusinessObjects Board

Help in adding new class in the universe?

I need to use ''Employment Status", which is not Available in the exsiting universe.

I am grabing ‘Category code’, ‘YTD total’ and ‘Employee name’ from Employee table, then I added another table called ‘Employee_assign’, which has employee status in that table. Then I join the two tables using ‘internal employee id’ column(Equl Join). When I run the reports, the numbers at the ‘YTD total’ shows 5 times more than it supposed to be. I know there must be something wrong with the join, but I couldn’t figure it out. May be should be join in different column other than’Internal Employee ID’. thanks in advance

lavinaluo (BOB member since 2005-02-14)

You probably have a fan trap – that is, for every ‘internal employee id’, there is probably more than one Employment Status row. The effect of doing an equi join in that case is to cause the multiplier effect, as you’ve seen.

Take a look at this entry from our FAQ: Designer, which may point you to other resources to help you understand the fan trap problem.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Anita, thanks for replying. But I think I didn’t do right at the adding context for the original table and alias table. How did you add the context? I am not good at that. what I did is make the origianal. internal_id=alias.interal_id and original.internal_id =new class.internal_id. is that correct? after I did this, the sql at BO report becomes 2 queries, one for alias table, one for new table I added in. I build the same objects I needed from original table from the alias table, is that correct? Please help. thanks very much

lavinaluo (BOB member since 2005-02-14)

One would have to understand your data model to be able to answer what you should do. Do you have someone on your team who can help you understand the relationships between your tables better, or who could suggest to you what sort of SQL would produce the desired results for you? If so, and you report back more details, someone may be able to make a suggestion.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)