BusinessObjects Board

Group by at report level

HI Bob,

I need your suggestion on following.

My current design is like in universe for measure values no aggregation has been set. The earlier approch for report design is using custom SQl.

Now they wanted to create Universe based report and avoid custom sql report, hence want to convert already existing reports to universe based reports.

Now my question is:
1)Is there any way to use group by function at report level as Aggregation is not set in universe.
2) Eg: SQL code:
Sum(A) Group by B,C,D

In Report i would use formula to sum up and break to group by.

Would it provide same result?
Please suggest. Is there an alternative

D.bhat (BOB member since 2010-06-04)

The correct way is to set SQL aggregation at the universe level, period.
Make sure SQL aggregation in the SELECT box of the meaure is set in addition to projection. See also my post here, please.

Why would you dismiss correcting the “flawed” universe anyway and opt for a local report solution instead?

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply.

We could not implement aggregate function in universe at this point of time in Prod hence looking out for some other way to design the report where we can implement group by and sum.

Please suggest if in case it is possible

Regards,
Deepika

D.bhat (BOB member since 2010-06-04)

Nope, and the right way is to make your measures “proper” measures, in the universe.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

if all you want to do is sum up the measure to the dimension then that is done automatically on the report. though it is not doing it at the query level

erik.stenson :us: (BOB member since 2012-07-30)