BusinessObjects Board

Good Practice - Universe Object Descriptions

This is my first post so go easy on me, and I searched the existing posts (perhaps not successfully) :oops:

I have found it hard to find a good practice approach to Universe Object Descriptions (Not Object Name). Does anyone here have a proven methodology/format that has been successful with end users and universe designers alike ?

Appreciate your feedback.

au_mac :australia: (BOB member since 2009-04-22)

Welcome to Bob!

Nothing proven, but personally I try to give a brief object description, plus an example value (if there’s an attached LOV) and whether it’s upper/lower case (you wouldn’t believe the support calls from people who search for lower case data in an upper case field…).

Bear in mind that in webi, you only get about 1.5 lines of the object description displayed - never found a way to change this! And the mouseover tooltip only shows for about 3 seconds.

Debbie

Debbie :uk: (BOB member since 2005-03-01)

The one standard that I use is to start the description with the Class name and Object name, and follow that by a brief business definition when possible. In the query panel (at least in DeskI) you can’t tell the class name for result / condition objects. Because the description can be displayed at the bottom of the query panel, having the class name and object name as the standard is very helpful.

And FYI, you may find this utility useful in helping maintain descriptions … Mass update to object names / descriptions

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Having the objects class also helps find it especially if you have objects with duplicate names in different classes. You may have current year sales separated from last year’s data.

Our standard is a little different we use Object class and then the source (objects table and column in the database)
exp: Current Sales\ DBA.Sale_Rep.First_Name

Mike Murray :us: (BOB member since 2005-12-23)

Thank you for taking the time to respond & your practice guides - appreciated.

au_mac :australia: (BOB member since 2009-04-22)