BusinessObjects Board

Giving a long TNS entry in the Supervisor-Repository

Hi,

I am trying to give a long TNS entry(RAC feature) in the Supervisor-Repository-Universe domain and document domain in BO 6.5 but the message shown is “TNS too long…”.

I need to give this long TNS entry anyhow.

“uiidw=(description=(failover=ON)(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=147.149.193.82)(port=1521))
(address=(protocol=tcp)(host= 147.149.193.162)(port=1521))
(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=147.149.193.79)(port=1521))
(connect_data=(service_name=uiidw.nat.bt.com)
(failover_mode=(TYPE=SELECT)
(METHOD=basic)(retries=180)(DELAY=5))))”

Can someone suggest how can I save this TNS in the settings?

Ashish Kumar Mishra

ASHISH KUMAR MISHRA (BOB member since 2006-11-10)

I’ve done it successfully in a non-RAC environment.

here is a slightly useful thread. I would be tempted to experiment with your details, for example removing the failover_mode=(TYPE=SELECT)
if that is possible.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi Nick,

I have to put the RAC feature in the TNS entires(with no spaces in between).

What I am asking is that can I put an alias in the supervisor settings and can I define that alias in details somehwhere else like we do in Oracle(Toad,Sql Plus etc.) so that I do not put such a long entry at the supervisor-settings.

I have tried to put UIIDW in supervisor-settings and then I defined that in tnsnames.ora file in local machine but while running the reports I found a few errors.This process is not working?How can I add such a big TNS entry in BO?

Doesn’t BO use RAC feature of Oracle?

Ashish Mishra

Why can’t your connection in Supervisor just reference the tnsnames entry by its name?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Nick,

That is my question.After giving just UIIDW in supervisor and defining UIIDW in details in tnsnames.ora file in my local machine error('Error in WIAPIBROKER…) is coming while running a report.

Ashish Mishra

Hi All,
I suggest that you can paste the TNS entery in the TNS.ora file in the server.Then go to the supervisor create a connection and then Give the user name password of the database with the String used in the TNS.
You can test the Connection by using the Test button once the connection is sucessful then u can proceed with the supervisor.

The other way to test if this TNS entry is refelected in your TNS.ora.

Open the Cmd Prompt

C:\tnsping
Press Enter if it gives a connection sucessful then its working fine.
else
check for the port is open to the database or not.
else
check for the correct TNS.

Regards
Prashant :mrgreen:

Regards
Prashant

prashant sathyapalan :india: (BOB member since 2007-05-16)

Hi Prashant,

I have done the same thing in supervisor and tnsnames.ora but and testing the connection is successful but while running any report from WEBI it is giving error(already mentioned).

Ashish Mishra

Hi ,
Is it a Universe Report or an SQL report if its a universe report then create a new report with a single object.Then try running the Report …please let us know the error.

Regards
Prashant

prashant sathyapalan :india: (BOB member since 2007-05-16)