BusinessObjects Board

Get dimension name in query panel

Hi all,

Is there any way to get a dimension (that you just selected) name in the query panel?

I have three measures (A, B and C) and two dimensions (W and Y). If I choose dimension W, I want in my query the measure B. If I choose dimension Y, I want in my query the measure A. If I get both, I want in my query the measure A, otherwise measure C.

I want to create an object in the universe to get the name of the dimension selected and choose the measure. It was my idea.

If you have more ideas, please tell me.

Thank you veru much.

defaro :brazil: (BOB member since 2006-09-01)

As far as I know, Its possible in DeskI and not in WebI.

In DeskI you can show and hide a block based on a condition and I don’t see such option in WebI for blocks.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Hi chief, Thank you very much.

Actualy, I want to get the dimension name to do a conditional in the universe. If I can get the name of the dimension that I selected, I can create an object (in the universe) that get this name (in WebI) and decide which measure to use.

So I have two situations:
1- Create an objects to get the name of dimension used in the query panel;
2- Use it in the query panel to decide witch measure must be used.

I don´t know if it is the right way to do it, so if you have another idea, please tell me.

Thank you very much!

Hi,

Sorry, but this is not possible.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Dynamically selecting measures based on dimensions selected in the Query Panel is not possible.

(Trick can be to concatenate the Dimension & Measure in the same object, but you’ll lose the properties of the measure i.e. you can’t aggregate)

however you can restrict the usage of 1 object(s) based on other objects by setting incompatible objects via Aggregate Navigation option

jprasanthram :switzerland: (BOB member since 2010-12-10)

Thank you very much Marek.

I will find another way to do a conditional and choose the right measure according to a dimension selected in the universe.

Thank you!

Thank you jprasanthram,

I have tryed to do it and have tryed to select a measure inside the objects properties. But it didn´t work very well (I knew it).
I can´t restrict the measure or dimension to each other, because I can choose, for example, others dimensions without the restricted one.

I will try to create a derived table and add it in the context… I think that it is the way. I will keep trying and let you know if I reach my goal.

Thank you and if you have another suggestion, please tell me.
See you.

My solution was something like this:

DeskI only:

a)
– First of all, You need to drag all the dimensions and measures in the query panel.
– Create one block Table1 with Dimension W and measure B.
– Create another block Table2 with Dimension Y and measure A.
– Next create another block Table3 with Dimension W and Y with A or C.
– Place the blocks on top of each other.

b) You would create a @prompt something like @Prompt{‘Select option:’,‘A’,{‘Dim W’,‘Dim Y’,‘Both’},mono,constrained)

c) Based the on the user input, Let’s assume user has selected ‘Dim W’, then you will display Table1 and HIDE Table2 and Table3 in your report. Similarly you have to do for other selections.

Check this link, I did it long back to display different graphs based on the user selection:
How to show and hide report blocks based on user selection.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

Hi Chief, thank you very much.

Acttualy, I need it in WEBI because we don’t develop anything in DESKI. Anyway, thank you very much.

I am trying to find out another way to do it.

Thank you very much.