BusinessObjects Board

Get DB Connection from the Universe?

Writing VBA code to run in a 6.5 report, I needed to update the underlying database to set ‘Ive done the job’ flags.

Currently I have to do this by getting my own db connection using ODBC and DAO, ADO, or other technologies.

What I would prefer to do is to get hold of the actual connection details being used by the universe, so that I can be sure of updating the database from which the report is drawing it’s information.

I cant find this in the object model anywhere… does anyone know how to obtain that at runtime in VBA?

jefftullin (BOB member since 2007-06-20)

Not available in the Reporter / Desktop Intelligence SDK. Some information is available using the Designer SDK, and you can look at this utility for an example of how to retrieve that information.

Even if you do go the Designer SDK route, I’m not sure it will provide what you are after. For example, it won’t have the database password. I’d be rather upset if it did actually. And from a best practice perspective, the database ID used for the connection should NEVER have anything other than SELECT (read-only) privileges. Honestly, your ADO approach is the best in my opinion.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)