BusinessObjects Board

Gathering scheduling information

Hi,
I have a requirement to gather data related to report scheduling ex. schedule time, the frequency (which days of a week / month), the default prompt values, the destination etc. (Basically all the information i need to schedule a report) in BO 5x.
I know that I can log into BCA and take a look at the “waiting” instance properties and get all the information i need, but it is not practical when I need to do this for more than a 1000 reports.
I tried hitting the repository database directly, but it appears that the ds_pending_job.job_data column stores data in an encrypted manner.
Is there any simpler way in which I can get this information?

Thanks in advance.

my_world :india: (BOB member since 2006-10-10)

All information for scheduled reports that is available is only in DS_PENDING_JOB table.

JOB_DATA column contains:[quote:6295337935=“BO repository 6.5 guide”]This is the encrypted value of the BOPASS variable at the time the
task was submitted by the end user. It is refreshed when the task is
resubmitted via the Resolve command in the Broadcast Agent
Console.
The BOPASS variable stores the password entered by the user when
logging in.
Encryption of this value also depends on the value of BATCH_ID, so
if the same user submits two tasks in the same session, the value of
JOB_DATA will be different even though the user’s password was
the same.
Unless the user has no Business Objects password and therefore
enters nothing, this column is always filled in. However, it is only used
when the “Use Business Objects user name and password” option
was set by the supervisor when creating the connection used. In this
scenario the user property “No password checking” is also set for the
user in Supervisor, and the BOUSER (user name) and BOPASS
variables are passed to the data base for authentication.
[/quote]
I am not sure but would say that it’s the same in BusObj 5.x. So basically JOB_DATA does not contain any useful information that you could use.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

OK!
Which means that I am back at square one. :frowning:
Can I even get the data I am looking for form any tables in the repository or elsewhere?

I’ve said it already. All what you can get about scheduled reports from BO repository can be found only in DS_PENDING_JOB table.

Some data (like default prompt values) are stored within scheduled documents so it can not be retrieved from BO repository :nonod:

What about writing some kind of macro to pull that data from the BCA console application? Like the way we get report information using VB macros??

I have never heard of using a macro (VBA in general) against BCA console :nonod:

I think that BCA console takes all (or almost all) necessary data from DS_PENDING_JOB table.

What kind of information is in BCA console and you can not find it in DS_PENDING_JOB table?

Have a look also at these BOB’s downloads:

Prompt values for the repots, Custom schedules, if a report is scheduled for particular days in a week or month, the format in which the scheduled instance is saved and the destination folder, the distribution list for the report. These are some of the things i can think of for now.
Also, I find two columns named day_timing and begin_time in the pending job table. How do I interpret the data that is present in these columns?

What could help you is the documentation for BO repository tables:

• description of DS_PENDING_JOB in BO 5.x
  • and some useful information can be also found in the documentation for BO 6.x repository which can be found here. Select version: BO Enterprise 6.5, Select Product: Security and Administration, and then the BO Repository Reference Guide.

I hope you will find all necessary information there.