BusinessObjects Board

From 5.1.6 to XI R3: which rights can be migrated?

Hi,

I’m planning to upgrade our current BO 5.1.6. to BO XI R3. Given the number of users, documents, reports etc., it is important what can or cannot be migrated to XI R3.

In BO 5.1.6. the following rights can be defined:

1. the universes the user has access to
  2. the documents the user has access to
  3. the domains the user has access to
  4. the application rights of the user
  5. the row level restrictions associated with an universe and a user
  6. the objects of a universe the user has no access to
  7. the tables of a universe that will be swapped.

My question is: which of these rights can be migrated automatically by a conversion tool?

BTW, it’s pretty disastrous if I’d have to re-assign all these rights manually (given the number of users)!

Thanks in advance.

Erik11 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2008-03-18)

But you have to understand that the architecture in terms of security, installation etc has changed in the XI versions
Its more object centric (object level security) unlike previous versions(5x,6x)
So you will have to rebuild user security from scratch

For instance, domains are now folders (universe folders, report or object folders)
For more details read the 5/6 to XI 3.1 migration guide from here

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

I understand the presentation and view is different. But I’m sure you have to be able (in Xi R3) to define the universes, documents etc. the user has access to. So why can’t you migrate that from 5.1.6. - if that’s what you’re suggesting.
It’s really timeconsuming, dull and error prone if I have to enter all the rights assigned over the last 7 years manually into XI…

Erik11 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2008-03-18)

Maybe if you see it this way, that you should have migrated to XIr2 couple of years back and that time the contents, users etc may not have been that huge which you have now
Agreed that its very time consuming and monotonous work, but it should be one time job for you

I am not sure if you gone through the migration guide but it would be worth it before having any apprehensions

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Trust us Erik, you will be MUCH better off in the long run to start over. ESPECIALLY since you are going to XI 3.x, which has some features that even existing XIr2 implementations should consider when upgrading.

Just a few examples … domains don’t exist; universes, documents, user groups, etc. now each have their own folder structure, as opposed to the single structure in v5 / v6. If you simply migrate the “domain” concept as is, you’re really limiting what you can do down the road.

Please take a look at this presentation … XI 3.0 Security for Mere Mortals … and I think you’ll find that “starting over” is not nearly as onerous as you think it might be.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)