BusinessObjects Board

Forum Digest emails and replies from topics

It seems that I have stopped getting any emails from the BOB forum within the last week or so.

I checked my settings in My BOB and it appears to be set up accurately to be receiving the daily digest.

So I have two questions:

1. Is there some type of problem with the emails being sent from BOB?

2. What is the email address that the emails come from? It could be that my company has decided to block that address for some unknown reason. I would like to get them back.

This is some what of a test to see if I get an email if anyone replies to this. Otherwise, I’ll just have to check back.

Thanks

Hi,

I don’t have this problem at all. Receiving many BOB post notifications a day to my yahoo email. However, there are some other people with the same problem. See here:

It’s notify@forumtopics.com.

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Thanks Marek. As expected, I didn’t receive an email when you replied to this topic. I tried the suggestion of trying a different email address and I could receive the emails there. Unfortunately, I can’t access that email address from work.

I think my company is blocking the emails on the email server as I have the email address in the Safe Senders section of the junk email filter in my email.

I’ll have to see if I can get them to unblock the email address.

It’s got nothing to do with blocking. I use my personal email address and have stopped receiving notifications. They’re not going into spam either.

anorak :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-13)

I tried switching notifications off and then on again, and it seems to have worked. :smiley:

Thanks anorak. I tried this also. I can receive the emails in my personal email address but not at my work email address. This is what leads me to think the emails are being blocked on our corporate server.

And have now stopped working again. :hb:

I’ve tried several different email addresses:

GMX - does not work
company address - does not work
personal web address - does not work

yahoo - works

so it seems only yahoo can still receive those mails?! I don’t dare changing my email address again as the account gets locked then (until you click on the link in the email)
:expressionless:

Miss Universe :de: (BOB member since 2010-02-16)

hotmail works.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Gmail works also.

What a pain to have to forward my emails from home to work.

I don’t dare changing it again… :expressionless: so no notifications for now…

Miss Universe :de: (BOB member since 2010-02-16)

Our security team got back to me and they say that there haven’t been any emails from notify@forumtopics.com blocked in the last 30 days. So maybe it is something that changed with the forum or the hosting site.

In doing some research, at least one person who commented in the other topic about not getting emails is not getting them because of the remote server. Here’s what’s in the log, with the specific user information removed:

2013-07-15 12:05:45 cwd=/home/forumtop/public_html/busobj 3 args: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
2013-07-15 12:05:45 1UymDZ-0006Aj-Gl <= nobody@rigil.momentsoflight.net U=nobody P=local S=1462 T="Topic Reply Notification - ALTER DATABASE statement causes error: statement not allowed" for someone@domain.com
2013-07-15 12:05:45 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1UymDZ-0006Aj-Gl
2013-07-15 12:05:46 1UymDZ-0006Aj-Gl ** someone@domain.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after HELO : host someone@domain.com [ip address here]: 501 Syntax: HELO hostname
2013-07-15 12:05:46 cwd=/var/spool/exim 7 args: /usr/sbin/exim -t -oem -oi -f <> -E1UymDZ-0006Aj-Gl

So it seems that the remote server is rejecting the mail before it even gets to a spam bucket.

The original server name was altair.momentsoflight.net. Several folks had to ask their IT group to specifically whitelist that server in order to get name. A black listed server never makes it through the email gateway. If you need to do that, the new server is rigil.momentsoflight.net.

Bob (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks for the research and additional information. :+1:
I’ve forwarded it on to those at our company who take care of these things (I’m in IT but not that area). Hopefully I will get things back soon.