BusinessObjects Board

Formula Differences Between XI 2 and XI 3

I have searched for a list of formula differences and apparently am “asking the wrong question.”

This past weekend we finally upgraded to XI3 and this morning we noticed errant results in a report.
For example we had a formula in a report similar to this:
=Sum(Object 1)/Sum(Object 2) which returned the correct results in XI but incorrect results in XI3. We removed the “sum” (which did not need to be there in the first place and I do not know why it was) and the formula looks similar to this: =object 1/object 2 and the results are correct.

We have found a couple others and I have read that the placement of parens is sometimes different and have heard something about “Where” clause issues, etc.

I am trying to build a list of the formulas that perform differently in XI3 than they did in XI 2. If you have a list of things you have identified and how you fixed them, that would be great.

Basically looking for the “GOTCHAS” you have identified…

I wonder if we will have similar issues when we migrate to 4.x

REB01 :us: (BOB member since 2004-11-29)

I described one of my issues here. The behavior of “In Report” in a report with ranking filters applied is different.

There were many, many calculation engine changes between XIr2 and XI3. Some were intentional, some were not, and all but a few of the intentional ones were undocumented.

Many of the changes were too subtle to be able to recognize in a report formula. So for the past few upgrades and SPs I’ve done, I’ve exported all reports to Excel in both environments, then compared the output to find reports with different results.

This is from SP5:

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Joe

Thanks for the info, I found your “RANT” to be humorous but informative. My team is begging for the Java app and Excel macro you created. One of them actually said “he could sell that.”

Very interesting (and creative) way to do the compare.

Ok, I just posted it to BOB’s Uploads. But you’ll need to wait for a mod to move it to BOB’s Downloads before you can download it.

Done

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Thanks, Marek!

Thanks again Joe and Marek! Awesome!

I just read the fixed issues list for FP4.2. There are a boatload of WebI calculation changes. Search for “XIr2”, “In Report”, and “Where”.

Joe

You are a genius! We have used your tool and it is amazing!!! Thank you for sharing.

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

HI Joe ,

I am not able to acces “fixed issues list” its asking user id and password could please le tme know how to access

Thansk

pavan.au143 (BOB member since 2011-12-29)

You need to have an SAP s-id for SAP Support Marketplace.