BusinessObjects Board

Flexible prompting

This query refers to a thread by Cindy Clayton FAQ: Designer

This is a really cool tip, but in my experience it doesn’t work in WEBI in that only selection from the LOVs is possible and a ‘*’ can’t be entered manually, is that what others have found, or have I implemented it incorrectly? :?:

Paul Shovlar :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-05)

:blue: EEK! Don’t shoot the messenger :rotf: I don’t write 'em. Just paste 'em in :slight_smile: Really though, thanks for the feedback. We’ve a comment or two on that one…whether the syntax was off. As Shrek would say ‘It’s on my todo list. OK?!?’

Seriously, it SHOULD work in Webi. I have it working in Webi. Our standard is for ‘*’ to mean select all values. If the * can’t be entered manually then you may have the constrained option turned on instead of free.

You can also constrain but union in the * with your real values in your lov. Oracle would be…

select '*'
from dual
union
select state from state_table

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

After further experiments I can say that the flexible prompt works within a Full Client report when this is exported to WEBI, which is SO GREAT, but using this predefined filter object in a Thin Client WEBI report, results in different behaviour. The LOV appears but without the accompanying input area for manul entry of ‘*’ :?

Paul Shovlar :uk: (BOB member since 2002-09-05)

I sometimes use the %||class/object||% scenario to do something similar to what u’re doing and it works in webi …

Rgrds
MikeD

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)