BusinessObjects Board

Fixed Sum for a Dynamic Year-Month

I’m building a report to track new items. I’m looking to add in a column that will show me the sum of volume for the first month the product was for sale. My data is broken out by [Market] and [Product]

I have one formula, that shows me the first month

=Min([Year Month] Where ([Volume] > 0))

I save that formula as variable [First Year Month] and then I want to do a sum using this formula

=[Volume] WHERE ([First Year Month] = [Year Month]

While I expect it to give me just the sum of the first month, it’s giving me the sum of all the months.

where is the sum() in your formula ?
where do you insert the parentheses in the (missing) sum syntax ?

I apologize, my wording was poor. I am not trying to do a sum. I have a cross tab where it breaks out sales by month in a rolling 12 with products having less than 12+ months of sales. I want a single column to show only the first month’s sales. So I don’t believe a sum() would be necessary, though I could be wrong.

check if your min(Year Month …) is working in the crosstab at all.
if there is “month” included in your crosstab, every month is (inevitable) the min(month) in this row/column, so the check in the formula is always true.
try to exclude “month” in the context of your formulas, so it does not depend anymore on the attributes that are included in the crosstab.
have a look at the possibilities of “foreach”, “forall” and “in” WebI-context.
and a sum() will be helpful to specify the exact input/output-context with setting parentheses to different objects in the formula to implement your required logic.