BusinessObjects Board

Figuring out the Folder security in CMC.. Frustrated

Okay I’ve looked at the security matrix, and I’ve even gone so far as to set it up similar to what is listed there. The problem is I still can’t get a user to log in and see a folder I have give the group access to.
I’m having a hard time understanding why, if I give a group an access level, do I still have to go in and assign security to it. If I select view security there are no items listed under assigned access. I have created an access level, assigned a group to that access level, and then gave that group permissions to a folder. When I try and log in as that user, I get nothing under folders except personal.
What am I doing wrong ??
:reallymad:

superduty455 :us: (BOB member since 2010-02-23)

I suppose you are running xi3?

Did you setup first the right to see the top level folder?

Yes, am Running BO XI 3.1 in a test environment on Windows 2003 BO server /Unix Oracle.
I guess I’m having a hard time understanding it all. I was sent to a BO XI R2 class by my supervisor and it’s very different.
Do I have to go and set security on each folder even after setting up Access levels and assigning that level to a folder ?

confused…and thankful for help
Also would like to add I have no BO hands on before the class. such is the life of IT =“here fix this, we’ll demo in 3 weeks”

it’s realy a pity if you were sent to a BO XIR2 classroom if you are working on XI 3.x because a lot of things regarding security have changed and have been improved. Would you be able to attempt a dedicated XI 30 admin course also ?

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

those presentations should help you …

I would like to, but I don’t know if there is time or money in budget. I’ve found a bunch of documents (pdf) that I am wading through, but it’s hard to apply everything to our scheme and have it work. So I am having to plod through it in time to get something out there. My Boss wants to put it out for testing next month, and I really have no idea now that I’m sitting in front of it. I would have hid in my cubicle if I had known she was looking for someone to hang this on.
The R2 class was informative and I felt like I could tackle the conversion from BO 6.5 to XI but now that it’s R3 ? :flush:

you might want to consider investing in a consultant

Setting up the initial security model shouldn’t be taken lightly and there’s quite a few consultants out there that should be able to help you with minimal time investment.

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

I agree, it would be worth it. I will pass it along to my boss.

Focusing purely on your issue of a group not being able to view a folder…

As Sebastien suggests, it sounds like it might an issue with permissions at the top-level folder.

For your environment, assuming that all users should have the “potential” to see folders, try the following.

[1] Setup a CAL which includes the following rights:

• General \ Delete Objects = Denied
  • Folder \ View objects = Granted (Object only).

[2] Grant the Everyone group access at the top-level using the above CAL.

[3] On each of the groups that a particular group should be able to view, assign acess using a CAL which includes the following right:

• General \ View objects = Granted (Objects and sub-objects)

Cheers,
Sean

Sean Reynolds :uk: (BOB member since 2004-12-16)