BusinessObjects Board

Extracting table names from universes

In a large effort to “productionalize” our migration process, our DBA would like to know if there is some way to automate the generation of a list of the tables used in a universe. Ideally, we would be able to scan all of the universe files (.unv) in a given directory and output a list of of the unique tables used in them. We could then use that list to prompt SQL Server to move only the tables we need. I don’t even know where to start with this one. Thanks.

I’m using BOXI R1 with SQL Server 2000.

AxisGp (BOB member since 2006-03-21)

Hi,

maybe querrying the BO repository with this SQL can help you:

SELECT   unv.uni_longname,
         tab.tab_name
    FROM unv_table tab,
         unv_universe unv
   WHERE tab.universe_id = unv.universe_id
ORDER BY 1, 2

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Thanks for replying. Would you mind elaborating on how to do that? Pointing me at the correct BOBJ user manual would be sufficient. Thanks.

Hi,

just run that SQL (in any SQL querrying tool you use) against the database where you have your BO repository stored.

XI does not use the same repository structure, therefore the SQL as provided will not work. I understand there are technical reasons for switching to the new repository structure, but it sure makes me long for the “good old days” when questions like this come up. :?

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I am sorry. I did not see the update regarding your environment.

It is possible using the Designer SDK. Take a look at this utility …Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK … for an example of how to read the contents of a universe. That utility operates on a single universe at a time. However, this utility … List objects used in a series of reports … acts on a series of documents within a given folder. Combining the techniques from the two utilities would give you what you need.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thank you, sir! I am already enjoying the utility you wrote to update object descriptions en masse.