BusinessObjects Board

Extract data from Full client reports/pdf to reuse in query

Hi, I hope someone can help as I’m really stuck. :?

Let me explain the current process:

We currently have 52 reports which contain weekly data over the last year. These are saved as full client (6.5) reports (and also pdf) - each have the week number as the file title.

Bascially I need to get the data out of these reports into a file/database(whatever) so I can load them back into a full client report so I can produce some trending reports.

(I have to use the data from these reports as they are basically snapshots of data at that time and I can’t query the database to reproduce them (as the data has changed since and there is no audit/historic information stored at database level))

What is the best way to approach this? Has anyone done anything similar. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

bobcon (BOB member since 2007-07-24)

There is a windows-based software product called “Monarch Pro” which among other things can extract data from PDF files.

From their web site: Monarch Pro easily “mines” data from existing text-based or PDF reports- an information source often overlooked by other BI tools.

http://monarch.datawatch.com/monarch-pro.asp

mobrien :us: (BOB member since 2004-03-03)

Hi - thanks for the quick reply. Looks interesting but doesn’t really help me - I might as well open up the BO full client reports and save the data as excel. I wanted to try and automate this process as I have folders and folders worth of these files to go through.

Are you looking to export data provider contents, or the report tab contents? In any case take a look at this utility … List objects used in a series of reports. Use it to get an idea for a technique to iteratively loop through a series of reports. Obviously tweak it to do the export to text instead of recording objects, but you get the idea.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Apologies for late reply… thanks Dwayne for the utility - this really helped in writing a routine to export the data providers into an Access database.

cheers.