BusinessObjects Board

Exporting Object Metadata and SQL

Is there an easy way to export object metadata from a universe? Specifically I am looking for the object name, description, and most importantly the SQL used for each object. Designer lets me export the universe to view the object list, condition list, hierarchies list, tables list, joins list, and context list, but there does not appear to be functionality to view a universe’s objects and the sql used in the object. The user needs to understand the source of the select statements without having to drill into each object. I understand you can click the view SQL button from within an ad hoc Web Intelligence document after dragging the object over, but that is going to be a huge manual process. Thanks!

memanalyst (BOB member since 2007-07-17)

You can do this from Designer. Go to Tools - Options, and select the Print/PDF tab, and select the level of detail that you want output, then click OK.

Next to to File - Save As, and choose PDF and the file type, and save it.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Here are the options on the Print/PDF tab:

List Components:
Objects
Conditions
Hierarchies
Tables
Joins
Contexts

However, it does not give an option to export the SQL thats used to generate the result set of the object.

memanalyst (BOB member since 2007-07-17)

sigh

Under “List Components”, select Objects.
Under “Full Description”, select Objects.
Click OK, and save the universe as a PDF file. It will include the SQL for each object.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hi, this topic seems to be about the same as this one:

Since the other topic is already in the Semantic Layer forum, I am going to ask that you post any follow-up questions in that topic and I will close this one to avoid fragmenting the discussion further. Thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)