BusinessObjects Board

Export to Excel error...Spreadsheet full but report not big

I’m trying to export a report to excel from BO 5.04. I am receiving a spreadsheet is full error. However, when I save as a .txt file and open in Excel, all is fine. Are there limitations to the export function that I’m not aware of? Any info is appreciated. TIA

Kari Jacobson (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

How are you doing the export?

Paul.

Paul Williams :uk: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

I’m going into view data and hitting the export button. I’ve defined the file name, an excel as the format.

I’ve also tried it in 5.16 and am seeing the same problem.

I know this is sort of a non answer but if it were me, I’d just do a txt export. The export to .xls has always had issues. It is much slower and your troubles are just one more reason to add to my list of reasons to export to .txt.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

This was my answer to the business as well. I’ll continue pushing them that direction. Thanks!

:idea: How big is the resulting spreadsheet?

I seem to recall an issue (a Microsoft one, not a BO one) with this.

BO uses the Microsoft DAO (Data Access Objects) to do it’s export to Excel. I believe there is a limitation in DAO that kills it after 16K rows. Even though Excel has the ability to do more, the API that Microsoft provides doesn’t allow for the maximum.

Text files are OK. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Kari, If the report is less than 65,000 rows then you can use the following add-in to do it. It provides one click functionality for exporting to xls, pdf, txt. We use at our place without any issues. I havent coded a workaround for >65,000 but you should be fine otherwise…

avaksi :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

I know that this is a bit late to add but I’ve just had the same error.

Found this on the Bus Objects support site :

Resolution Entry 1395
Date Entered 17-DEC-1998  
Product Release BusinessObjects 5.1  
Problem Error: "Spreadsheet is full. Export has failed.( 3437 )" when you try to export a BusinessObjects report to Excel.  
Resolution *****CONFIGURATION******
BusinessObjects version 5.1.x
Microsoft Excel

[Steve Krandel - removed remainder of tech support resolution. BOB does not allow the duplication of copyrighted material. Please see tech support resolution 1395]

Michael Abelha :australia: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

The error is correctly defined as being caused by the source having more than the 16k rows, being exported by the DAO DLL. Saving as any other format will allow this to export and can be saved DIRECTLY as an Excel file in v.6.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Sorry, I did not know about not being able to paste the contents of a resolution from the Bus Objects support site. :oops:

I had a check on the Bus Objects support site and it says this :

Permission to use the documents contained herein, such as press releases, data sheets, white papers, is granted provided that (i) the below copyright notice appears on any and all copies, (ii) that use of such documents is for informational and non commercial or personal purposes only, and no changes to any such document are made. You are not allowed to use or copy the design or layout of this Business Objects SA web site, logos, graphics, sounds or images, except as expressly authorized by Business Objects SA. 

© Copyright 2003 Business Objects SA, 157-159, rue Anatole France, 92309 Levallois-Perret France. All Rights reserved. 

Do you think the pasting of a resolution falls under this definition so that it could be possible just as long as we put the copyright notice in?

Note - I’m happy to accept the decision of the moderators in this - I’m just asking the question.

I believe that’s use… as in fair use priveleges for the documents. Since BO obtains part of its revenue from support, it’s our fear that they’ll believe that the posting of “tech solution” information outside of BO would cut into their support revenue and they’d take action against any forum that does so…

So… We play it safe and just summarize the information or paste the resolution number, letting anyone that can look up the information do so.

Here’s some quick COPYRIGHT info

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for the reply digpen. :yesnod:

I will remember that for any future replies.

The primary reason for the rule is the text right on the login page for the tech support site. It reads:

It doesn’t say anything about disclosing the information to non-employees, but I think that we can infer that. :wink: As digpen says, they derive revenue from the site (support contracts / maintenance fees).

So the rule against posting resolution from the tech support site is as much to protect your own relationship with BusinessObjects as it is to protect BOB. Thanks.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)