BusinessObjects Board

Exp Data Services Individuals Needed - New DS Certification

Is it a good idea for SAP to base the passing score for the Data Services exam on Werner’s performance on that exam? :slight_smile:

If so, we had better all start studying!

caryd (BOB member since 2011-03-04)

Kidding aside, I wouldn’t have done that well with the current exam as it has quite a few questions outside my core area of expertise like deep DQ related questions or MetaData Manager/Information Steward questions.
I would like to think I still would have passed but you never know.

This is actually one set of questions I have when building the new exam

• Should we check if somebody knows the tool (a la “What is the second button in the tool palette for?”) or should we go for understanding (e.g. What three transforms are you going to use for a SCD2 dimension?).
  • Should we scratch the surface (What transform creates the update row of a SCD2 dataflow?) or dig deeper than most people look usually (What will happen if I omit the generated_key column in TC for a SCD2 dataflow?)
  • Should the exam cover DataServices only or Data Quality and Information Steward as well? I am inclined to say it should cover all but on a very light level (What is the Global Address Cleanse transform for?)
  • What I like to avoid are questions about functions you either have used or haven’t like “How does the Oracle CDC datastore work” or “What loader option does Teradata have?”. If you have used Teradata you know for sure, if you haven’t you have no way of knowing and frankly you do not care. You will find out easily in the project without having problems. I remember one of such question in the current exam, hence raising the point.

Anyway, I had a first chat yesterday and all that has been said makes perfect sense to me - looking forward to help developing the questions and get the reviewed multiple times or review others’.

What I like in particular is that once we have decided on the questions, a larger set of people will be asked to run through the exam to get a feel of what questions are too easy or too complex for people we know are successfully using DataServices. So lots of validations and sanity checks, that I like.

Werner Daehn :de: (BOB member since 2004-12-17)

With no knowledge of the product at all, I would suggest that understanding is the way to go. Then it heads towards real certification rather than ‘Can you read a manual’.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

In answer to Werner’s questions:

1. Go for understanding to find people who can use the tool to do real work.
  2. Don’t just scratch the surface, but don’t get too esoteric.
  3. How about an exam in two parts, 75% on DI part of DS and 25% on DQ/IS? Pass the first only (which is all some folks need to show) and get the DS Certification. Pass both and get the DS Certification with DQ endorsement.
  4. Please skip rarely used functions that you read the manual for when the need to use them arises. Thanks for asking about that - I think I remember the question you referenced.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

caryd (BOB member since 2011-03-04)

+1 ^^^, but I don’t see it happening. The way the test development process was going when I was at the Influencer session at the ASUG BO conference the test was targetted to a position, not a tool. As an employer I need to know that a candidate KNOWS the TOOL that he or she will be using on day one. Other stuff can be learned OTJ but if you’re fumbling around within the tool that doesn’t look good.

eganjp :us: (BOB member since 2007-09-12)

Let me rephrase that according to my understanding - and I might be wrong.

The exam will be based on a job position but the questions are still about the tool. This is actually in your favor.

Imagine DataServices, we could ask about installation, administration, usage, transforms, DQ transforms, relationship to IS, realtime setup, DQM for SAP, so cover a lot of ground.

Now imagine the job profile says that there is not a single person who does the installation and the ETL development, it is always two. One does the administration, the other the ETL. Then we would have two exams targeted to each of the two roles.

DI/DQ same thing. Is it common to have a DQ person who has no clue about DI and vice versa? Or is the common job role one that includes both?

Depending on the outcome of this, the product questions might be restricted to these areas.

^^^ I hope this is the case. It sounds much better than the way it was described to me a few months back.

I’ve been working with BODS/BODI for many years but I wouldn’t have a clue as to what “the third button on the right of the second menu bar” is… or “which button would you press to do X Y Z”.

Such questions are completely worthless in my opinion - they do not foster the deeper understanding of the solution at all.

For the same reason, I always have the Tech. Manuals open on my desktop while working with BODS - I find remembering the exact syntax of each and every function to be a complete waste of brain space (and time). It’s far more important to have a mental picture of what tools/functions you can use to resolve a particular problem than knowing exactly what the correct syntax is.

ErikR :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2007-01-10)

Complete agreement from me on everything you said. :+1:

We seem to have that a lot these days - if we’re not careful people may start talking :rotf:

ErikR :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2007-01-10)

Is performance also part of it?

I often come across 2 problems:

• Badly designed jobs in a functional way
  • Badly designed jobs in a technical/performing way
    And the combination of both (oh joy).

Pushdown, better tricks with BODS, what objects to use in what kind of situation to improve performance etc… all important in a medium sized and bigger environment.

I recently cleaned up code to process 10 mil records (not that much?) which improved performance from 5 hours to 5 minutes. I admit, there were a lot of things incorrect, but performance is so enormous important.

I consider knowing how to build for performance is the difference between a person who learned BODS from the manual or a simple training or a experienced person.

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)

I double checked and the team creating the exams told me that my posting is 100% correct.

@Eric: Agree with you. On the other hand, the other extreme can be to ask no questions about the product itself as everything is in the manuals. We need to balance that. I for sure would not opt for a question like “is the mapping substr(COL1, 4)” valid or not. Useless, you will find out when validating and figure the problem immediately. I would not hire a person who can answer that one over a person who can describe a SCD2 flow in some detail.

@Johannes: Very good point. Performance and our thread “Things to avoid in DS”

Last week we had a phone call with our contact at SAP who is coordinating the new development of the new Data Services Certification. I wanted to give you a quick update and ask all of you to considering helping with the final phase of the project (see below).

• SAP Certified Application Associate - Data Integration with SAP Data Services 4.x
  • “Job Task Analysis” is complete (7 ASUG Contacts + SAP Contacts)
  • Content was broken down into 8 topic areas with subtopics
  • Each topic area was given a weighted factor (100% total)
  • Next step is the “Item Writing Workshop” (generate questions for test)
  • Last step is “Standard Setting” to review questions, rate difficulty and Pass Score

We are looking for 12-15 subject matter experts to help with the “Standard Setting” from 3/15/2013-3/29/2013. Participation requires the following:

• 1-1.5 days of time
  • Tasks done remotely and asynchronously
  • Mandatory 2.5 introductory phone
  • Must working experience with
    • Data Integration and SAP Data Services
    • Preferably customer projects but also training
    • Software testing/validation
    • Proof of concepts
  • Individuals needed from all regions

Interested individuals should contact Daniela Kelemen (daniela.kelemen@sap.com ) who is project managing the certification production.

Thanks to those of you who were chosen to help with the Job Task Analysis Phase!

tdatri :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Another quick update:

• The item writing workshow has been completed
  • The exam is in the Standard Setting phase
  • Thanks to all who offered to help with this last phase
    * We have more volunteers than we need at this time

Tammy

Wanted to let everyone know that SAP released the exam for the Data Services Certification yesterday through the SAP Training Centers!

Thansk To Tim Breitwieser and his team at SAP for working with the ASUG BusinessObjects Strategic SIG to get this Certification Reinstated!

C_DS_41 - USD 750.00 :?

Is there a timeline to make it available in Pearsonvue?

ganeshxp :us: (BOB member since 2008-07-17)

Yes.

• Delivery options: Proctored exam through SAP training centers (available from May 13, 2013) and Pearson VUE (available from June 20, 2013)

Hi All-

I am sure many of us are eagerly waiting for BODS 4.0 or above certification to be available from SAP.

Is there any news about when the certification would be available? Instead of just the BODI R2 option.

Ankit J (BOB member since 2013-03-14)

One of the reasons I would like to get certified is below:

In my view, BODI/BODS is a late entrant to the ETL tools market. Other tools already had occupied a major pie of the market, before DI/DS was acquired by BO and later by SAP. Since they existed before, there are many professionals, who already have worked in the ETL space.

When a new client needs to deploy BODS as an ETL tool, they cannot find candidates who are experienced purely on BODS. Even if there are people experienced in BODS, they have to face competition from the non-BODS guys.

As a result, a person who is experienced in purely BODS tends to lose out, since the client really cannot judge a person on the basis of one’s own claim about the knowledge of the tool.

If a person is certified, that gives an impression to the client about the credibility of the person, whom they are talking to.

With this reason, I have decided to take up the certification, and am happy after reading through the discussion that there are steps being taken by SAP to come out with a certification, which identifies a person truly knowledgable on BODS and can create good and sustainable ETL solutions.

Having said that, I would like to know what has been made the focus of the exam now?
I am planning to give the exam, but am clueless about what do I expect from it.

I haven’t really got any answer from my posts here.

Appreciate if somebody could help me out.

ds41user :india: (BOB member since 2007-09-03)

In the meantime the certification has become broadly available. Even in my country I can follow it!

And the goods news: I am going to try it without the trainings, just only the certification. Just for the principle :mrgreen:

Johannes Vink :netherlands: (BOB member since 2012-03-20)