BusinessObjects Board

Estimate of BO i.e, from universe design to maintenance

Hi,

I was asked to do an Estimation in Business Objects related work. Project is not completly related to Datawarehousing but it is a small part only. My estimation should include the following phases:

1. design the Universe
  2. 15 reports(complex)
  3. Users creation
  4. Testing the reports(UAT)
  5. Maintenance

And the last thing is that the estimate should contains the resource i.e., no of man hours required to complete a particular task.
If anyone has involved in it can you please send the sample estimate document

bouser1 (BOB member since 2008-08-01)

You need a lot more information than that to give a realistic estimate.

What is the data source? How many users? What software platform is to be used? Load-balancing? Fault-tolerance? Backup strategies? Authentication method? How complex is a ‘complex’ report, what is the complexity? Who is testing the reports? What does ‘maintenance’ cover, application support? Operational support?

If I was quoting for a real noddy system with a raft of dangerous assumptions, and not including any time to configure the system in teh first place, I might say :

1. design the Universe - 10 days
  2. 15 reports(complex) - 2 days each
  3. Users creation - 4 days
  4. Testing the reports(UAT) - 1 day each
  5. Maintenance - ???

But that’s a very very rough estimate, based on a fairly simple datasource and having good support from the business and assuming all resources are available as and when required :slight_smile:

cashworth (BOB member since 2005-02-09)

Impossible to determine this without knowing the complexities of the underlying database \ schema and complexity of reports and the experience of the business objects universe designer, report builder and administrator, also how thorough you are in your testing and how good your requirements are.

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

I agree with Dessa. Initially my client estimated my project to be done within 4-6 weeks. But it is still running beyond 4 months because of many access related issues and also with often changes in requirements. It depends on the complexity as well. Have a good understanding of requirements, the underlying database, data model (if you are going to be the designer) etc,… before you start estimating.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

In addition to the above points are all your requirements set in stone / signed off, or is there a chance that there will be slippage?

I have spent many a happy hour at some clients building and finishing reports, then finding out they wish to rearrange the tabs e.t.c. once they have been finished.

“What do you mean you can’t copy the report tabes from one doc to another?”

Was a particular favourite. :rotf:

This piece is very important, particularly if you are not going to have the access to do it all yourself… :slight_smile: .

You also have to factor your own experience in, it may take me less or more time to do the same task as you, depneding upon your experience.

Finally, you also have to consider resources available to you, do you know where to look for info when there are problems?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Hi

Its advisable to have a discussion among your team and try to break the works as various components. Chances that there are couple of reports may take a month too to complete and in such case your estimation will go for a task.

Chances that you can get help internally from the people who are working with the project proposals and its better to have 20%-30% buffer with the estimated hours to meet uncertainity.

Regards

Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Hi All,

Sorry for delay in replying back and thxs for sending your views.
Actually i m the lone person who is going to work on this entire part i.e, from designing to maintenance work. I haven’t gone through the Schema/Database till now. Before that i wanted to make sure that whether i can get any “Standard Estimate Document”.

Can anyone share me the Estimate document?

Regards
BOuser

Hi

If you use the estimate which has prepared by others, you will be screwed up if your not meet the milestones. Every company have its own Standarad Templates on Estimation , check with your project manager.

Regards

Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

My Universe Project Plan template was created around most tasks required in developing a Universe and 10 documents.
Use it as starting point to add your time guestimates and any additional activities.

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Thanks Mike

It will be greatful for me
Once i have done with the estimation then i will let u know at earliest