BusinessObjects Board

End-user Forums

I am working with a group of end-users who have many questions. I am trying to encourage this group to do as much research as possible when they encounter an issue before they involve another department (OK - what I really mean here is ME). The suggestion was made to tell them about BOB but they are not technical at all and this forum is not really geared towards someone experimenting with reports, for example.

Does anyone know of a forum for end-users working with BO?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

SNK in WI (BOB member since 2002-09-03)

Well, I do think BOB is for BusObjects “regular” end-users as well :!:
So I would say: Send them this way :mrgreen:

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

You’re kidding right :wink: Of course it is geared for that. Send them first to the Reporter FAQ, then to the Search page, and finally, to post a question to the Reporter forum.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

It’s only technical because that’s who asks the questions. Trust me. If they start asking user-related questions, we’ll be all over those answers, too.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

BOB is an “equal opportunity forum”. We welcome any / all folks. 8) As Cindy suggested, it might be a good idea to point them at the FAQ first.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I appreciate all of the open-arms responses that you all posted. FAQs is an excellent idea and I will make sure I tell them to look there first.

If the forum is flooded in the coming weeks it had nothing to do with me. :lol:

SNK in WI (BOB member since 2002-09-03)

I think there have been many end-user questions asked in Reporter. It’s always good if the user in question says that they are just a user of Reporter, so we don’t throw technical questions back at them.

However, if they ask a question that may involve a universe design or supervisor issue – we direct them to contact their “designer” or “supervisor” – so you’ll get those questions in the long run! :rotf:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks for admitting that Susan. I’m going live with about 2,000 users in a few weeks myself, and we mention BOB as a resource during our introductory training. I did that for the same reason as you, so MY phone won’t ring as much! Now though, if BOB gets flooded I can blame it on you! :rotf:

Kidding of course. Users new to BusObj are more than welcome here as you’ve learned. I suspect many visit as guests, get their answer, and we don’t actually hear from them.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Well I’m an end-user (only moderately technical, but getting there - thank you BOB :smiley: ) and it’s been/being an education. I would recommend that they make use of the forum to it’s full as, whilst they may not need to know it, the extra bits of information they will pick up will give them an insight into the inner workings and may mean they ‘involve other departments’ less!!

I’ve even started doing some SQL and had a bash with VB 8) (successfully i might add)

norty303 :uk: (BOB member since 2003-03-19)

Thanks for the success story, norty. It’s fairly obvious due to the post count and number of visitors each day that the forum is getting some attention, but it’s always nice to hear that folks are being more productive with their tools after stopping by.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)