BusinessObjects Board

Enabling email option via BCA

Hello,
We are looking to give our users the option of emailing BO docs as attachments via BCA – trying to do it using VBA SDK (I know BCA Publisher has this option but we do not have it).
I have tried writing an add-in to enable the user to specify the email addresses (I will install the add-in on the BCA server as well) – but the problem is that how do you pass the email addresses that the user specifies when scheduling the report and then capture them when document runs on the server (one could create a db table to store those addresses but I am looking for a simpler way if possible).

Thanks folks!

Amanjeev (BOB member since 2003-07-10)

Did you check in the BOB’s Downloads forum? You’ll find this topic, which should have exactly what you need.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Michael,
The solution you directed me to needs that the code be written in every BO document which needs to be scheduled. We would like to give users an option to schedule any document for email via BCA without us getting involved in writing the code in their documents.
That is why I was looking to create an add-in which would for e.g. prompt them for email addresses – and then when the report runs on the BCA server, access those email addresses to mail the report to. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi we have created such solutions for a few of our customers.

It is technically possible you have to install the add-in on the BCA server and base the e-mail trigger on the after refresh option.

The other issue is how do you know get the user to define the recipients…

But all this is possible it all depends on how simple/complex you want to build.

ClaireB :de: (BOB member since 2002-08-09)

Klaus,
Could you please share some of your experiences on how to do this? I did not understand the piece about After Refresh() event – the one in the scheduled document or the add-in?
Ideally, users should be able to specify email recipients along with scheduling the report via BCA.
In your solutions, did you keep the recipients in a db table?

Thanks!

OK some more details.

Whenever you refresh a document there is a VBA event called “After Refresh” you build an add-in watching for this and which does then send it to e-mail.

Now the trick is how do you define the recipients, lists, message, …

We used many different solutions:
Report Variables
Document Properties
Databases with distribution list
External lists (such as XLS)

Again it really depends on how simple or complex you want to build it

ClaireB :de: (BOB member since 2002-08-09)

I have to chime in here…

I’d be cautious about sending any refreshed document in an AfterRefresh event. We did that for quite some time (without any trouble) and then I ran across the following in the SDK documentation (specifically with the SaveAs Method of the document):

Note: Calling this method from an implementation of the Document event Activate, BeforeRefresh or AfterRefresh could cause an error message to be displayed.

For this reason, I’ve moved all my post-refresh actions into my BeforeClose event.

Also, I’ve developed a BO and matching BCA VBA add-in to do roughly what is described. I have a BO macro that collects “parameters” for the e-mail option (such as recipients, subject line, message body, etc) and stores this info in document detail variables that get saved with the document. There is also a matching e-mail add-in installed on my BCA cluster that checks for the presence of these variables and if found, sends the e-mail.

This is all based on the BO 5.1.6 suite. I also use Blat for the e-mail generation (I’m a believer).

Is this what you want?

dirmiger :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-28)

Hi,
I am also trying to do same thing. I would like to enter Email Address while sending report to BCA.
Is it possible for you to share the code.

Thanks
Renu

renu (BOB member since 2003-03-14)