BusinessObjects Board

E6 license file. A little explanation if you please

Hi All :slight_smile:

I’m curious about some of the lines that appear in the license file as it’s not really obvious what they are.

<product id="bo.BusinessObjectsReporter" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.3TierBusinessObjects" nbUsers="40" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.BusinessObjects" nbUsers="40" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.Distribution" nbUsers="40" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.BusinessObjectsExplorer" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.BusinessQuery" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.Designer" nbUsers="1" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.Supervisor" nbUsers="1" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.ConfigTool" nbUsers="21" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.InfoView" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.ServerBackEnd" nbUsers="20" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.AdminConsole" nbUsers="20" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.WebIntelligence" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.BCAScheduler" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.BCAConsole" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.BroadcastAgent" nbUsers="10" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.security.LDAP" nbUsers="1" nbServers="" /> 
  <product id="bo.security" nbUsers="1" nbServers="" /> 

The reporter and explorer bits are obvious but what is the bo.BusinessObjects for? And bo.Distribution for that matter and why would we have 40 licenses when we only have 10 full client licenses?

Also would you say that according to this file we DO have 10 Broadcast Agent/Scheduler licenses?

Thanks for any info you may have.

And for your info this is the 3rd license file we have received from BO which seems to have the correct components (as well as some others which is why I’m posting this in the first place!)

norty303 :uk: (BOB member since 2003-03-19)

Version 1.0 of XML license files has not been very consistent.
Certainly it has increased email traffic - and size, with all the XML attachments going back and forth. :roll_eyes:

have you seen this post?

scott copeland (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks Scott, I did do a search for xml related issues but there’s not much info on what the components are (and as they decided to redefine which elements are under which title for E6 I thought i’d see if anyone else knew a bit more)

If we have 10 full client licenses then surely this is defined by the 10 BOReporter and BOExplorer and Infoview licenses. I’m curious what the 40 BusinessObjects licenses refer to and why there are 40 instead of 10. Could it be referring to simultaneous processes running on the webi server or something?

Or it is just plain wrong ----> my point . . . :lol:

Yeah, it could also be that Scott :slight_smile:

It must have a purpose tho as why would they duplicate the product description. Full client is adequately defined by either of the aforementioned components being present in the file without needing an overall one for BusinessObjects (which doesn’t actually tell you much anyway)

Mine looks a lot like yours. The nbUsers is wrong most the way down. We have a server-based license and a second for test with 30 users and at least 6 IT bundles that I know of.
nbServers="" - at one point this had a number in it instead of nothing but then Licensing said it didn’t matter.
I do know that our new server ended up with an older XML file by mistake and that did cause some trouble until we reloaded with the most recent XML.

<purchasedProducts>
<product id="bo.BusinessObjectsReporter" nbUsers="6" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.3TierBusinessObjects" nbUsers="24" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.BusinessObjects" nbUsers="24" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.Distribution" nbUsers="24" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.BusinessObjectsExplorer" nbUsers="6" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.Designer" nbUsers="2" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.Supervisor" nbUsers="2" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.ConfigTool" nbUsers="38" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.InfoView" nbUsers="36" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.ServerBackEnd" nbUsers="36" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.AdminConsole" nbUsers="36" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.WebIntelligence" nbUsers="96" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.WebIntelligenceReporter" nbUsers="30" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.WebIntelligenceExplorer" nbUsers="30" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.security.LDAP" nbUsers="2" nbServers=""/>
<product id="bo.security" nbUsers="2" nbServers=""/>

It does appear that the bo.3tier, bo.Distribution and bo.BusinessObjects lines are equal to 4x the value in the Reporter/Explorer nbusers. I think I might log a tech supp question and find out (or not!!) for sure what they are. I’ll let you know what i find out.

OK, scrub that… I tried talking to 3 people but could neither understand them nor get them to understand the nature of my enquiry.

Why are companies insisting on moving their support to India when it reflects so badly on the quality of service they offer. I actually make excuses now to avoid asking the questions and end up feeling a little sour that our 20% yearly support cost doesn’t really get us anything.

Do you guys in the states have the same problem?

Totally agree. My colleague and I have the same issues with BO support. We tend to use this forum and/or KX now instead, which like you said, makes a nonsense of the 20% support fee. :frowning:

leebaker :uk: (BOB member since 2004-05-18)

The contents of the key file are irrelevent. I was not happy when I saw the contents of our key and reached out to the licensing folks and here is a snippet of our exchange…

BO: “The quantities in license files are for informational purposes only and are not the legal agreement between the customer and BOBJ nor do they present a technical limitation on number of installations. All RDBMS are included by default in license files. The RDBMS quantities vary depending on the middleware selected per module quantity. Server licenses are based on 250 or 500 endusers per current product packaging. User quantities could be a combination of users per server plus any separate enduser licenses purchased. Again, if you purchased and maintain support on uncapped server licenses, you are still entitled to that.”

Chris: "so am I correct in understanding that this statement, “nor do they present a technical limitation on number of installations”, means that I don’t have to be concerned about users being prevented from using the applications if at anytime the number of users exceed these limits?

If so, than what is the point of these limits/numbers?"

BO: “That is correct, the number of installations you are allowed is limited to your license agreement and not the license key file information. In most cases the license files do accurately reflect customer quantities, but there are numerous factors that can affect these numbers that the current license generation program cannot accommodate for. This could change in future releases.”

csievert :denmark: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

…meaning WILL but nobody’s decided when yet!! :nonod:

I suppose it stops us all getting too comfy…

Nice post Chris - good to hear what I had already surmised

thanks.

makes you wonder what the point is, but I guess they are planning for the future. :?

csievert :denmark: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)