BusinessObjects Board

Dynamic Report Linking

I’m a newbie and have searched this wonderful forum for an answer to no avail. Here’s my question:

I’ve successfully created links to other reports from crosstab reports in WEBI using opendocument. However, when working with a crosstab or, for that matter, other report types, how can I accomodate the user dragging in other dimensions, multiple levels, or even other measures? In essence I need a way to dynamically determine what dimensions and measures are showing and then passing those dynamic variables to a report that can handle dynamic parameters. Is this possible?

If not, how are people handling this?

Alan

AJG (BOB member since 2007-01-31)

What no comments? Here’s an example:

Units Sold
Year Product1 Product2
2000 1000 2000
2001 1500 3500
2002 1275 3000

I can do a report link for the Units Sold to show more detail. But what if the user, drags in a State dimension as a 2nd level or replaces the Year dimension with State? Suddenly the report link doesn’t work.

I suspect I’m missing something very basic.

Use OpenDocument in Universe for Year and State too. now it will link directly whichever object user selects.

Regards,
Prabhat

prabhat :india: (BOB member since 2007-01-16)

Thanks for the tip. I’m not sure I understand. Can you point me to some documentation or an example? Thanks.

Download the Zip file attached in

prabhat :india: (BOB member since 2007-01-16)

Hi Prabhat,

No sign of the Zip file, has it been approved… :?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Hi All,

Thanks for your time in advance.

I have an issue with Dynamic linking. I have a report with 3 optional prompts in the summary report each for Year, quarter and month. Based on the user selection, I am showing the corresponding values in summary report. Now, user wants to drill down to detail report by clicking on the summary report values. I need to pass Year or Quarter or Month based on the user selection in the summary report prompt. I have optional prompts created in detail report for each of Year, Quarter and Month.

But, how do I dynamically pass the user selected prompt in the summary report to the detail report. I tried few different things and played with report variables, but it is not working.

For ex., I created a variable on the report as below, and passed this variable to the 3 prompts on the detail report.

=If IsPromptAnswered("3: Enter Month:") Then [Initiated Month] ElseIf IsPromptAnswered("4: Enter Quarter:") Then [Initiated Quarter] Else [Initiated Year]

It didn’t give any error, but the variable is passing the same selected value to the remaining 2 prompts and thus not returning any results. How can I make the other 2 prompt “Use Document Default” dynamically?? :hb:

I am on XI3.

Any ideas on this is greatly appreciated. Hope I did not confused you.

-Peter

Peter_sandy (BOB member since 2005-08-11)

Any thoughts please??

Not a single reply? :blue:.

Hmm… there no way to resolve this? Not a single reply in 2 days. Come on guys.

-Peter

Hi -

Are you saying that your detail report has the same three prompts as your summary report and that you wish to utilize those prompts again in the detail report - OR - that you want to utilize some values that your summary report retrieves, as NEW prompts to your detail report, or both (meaning, you want to resuse summary report’s prompts AND send it new values contained within summary report’s data? ) ?

Atul Chowdhury (BOB member since 2003-07-07)

Hi Atul,

Thank you for your time in answering this question.

I have a summary report with 3 prompts (Year, quarter and month). These 3 prompts are optional. User can select either of them. So, as per user selection I need to pass one of the values to detail report. To do this I created a variable in Summary report as shown in my earlier post above. And in the link I am passing that variable to the 3 prompts. And it is not returning any values in detail report as it is passing same value to all the 3 prompts (Year, Quarter and month).

Now, how can I pass the respective prompt value that the user selected to the detail report??

Hope I made a little bit clear now.

-Peter

Peter,

I read your post also and I’m unsure whether you can do what you require. You may need to have seperate detail reports. Are they running as pre-canned instances?
I believe your main problem is that you need to be able to supply the blank, not chosen option, if you like, to the optional prompt(s), as an else part of your If statement.
Sorry, I can’t help further, but, I thought I would bump your post, because I’m quite keen, to see if anyone knows whether this can, actually, be done.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)