BusinessObjects Board

Duplicating universe against different connection

I have a universe called “unvA” with a connection to a database “dataA”

I want to copy this universe to “unvb” and change the connection to “dataB”

What I did was open unva, did a ‘save as’ unvb and then opened unvb. When I open unvb the ‘heading at the top’ stills says unva.

I have a report that needs to access my primary production system for one sql and my backup system for another. So the schema’s (I.E. Universe) are the same, I just want a different connection which I assume needs a ‘duplicate’ universe?

Thanks
larry

larryc (BOB member since 2004-04-15)

Open unvB in Designer
The name in (FILE >> PARAMETERS) is probably still unvA

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

yep… Thanks…

larryc (BOB member since 2004-04-15)

Larry,

If the universe have to remain the same, the better solution would be to create a unvB and link it to unvA. UnvA and B still can have a different connection but maintenance would be reduced to 1 universe :smiley: .

HenkK

HenkK :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-02)

What if I have this scenario.

I have a universe called “unvA” with a connection to a database “dataA”

I want to copy this universe to “unvb” and change the connection to database “dataB” which has a different schema.

I also need to copy the reports existed for universe “unvA” to universe “unvb”.

Is there a way to automatically change the copied report to point to universe “unvB”? I don’t want to manually change each copied report to point to universe “unvB”. The two universes have different data.

Thanks, Binh

binh (BOB member since 2004-06-07)

Have a look at this utility provided in BOB’s Downloads. 8)

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thank you Dave. I will take a look at it.

Maybe I’m missing something. Could you not create another user (UserB) in Supervisor and override the universe connection so that it uses ConnectionB. This way you could use the same universe, same reports, but when you login as UserB, you would connect to DataBaseB. :wave:

Grantie :uk: (BOB member since 2004-07-01)

What if the user wants to have access to both schemas. Are you suggesting the user having two login ID? One for each schema.

Yep I’m referring to Larry’s point that the schema’s are identical - they just reside on different databases. In which case he can have one User ID looking at one database, and another looking at the second. :yesnod:

Grantie :uk: (BOB member since 2004-07-01)

Dave,

The script works. The only problem is when I changed the name of the classes of “TO” universe and try to run the Macro, it doesn’t works. I get the following error:

Problem changing the universe on DP Query 1 with “Universe” of document “doc”

Note, I created the “TO” universe by copying from the “FROM” universe and changing the schema of all the tables and the classes.

Thanks in advance. Binh