BusinessObjects Board

Duplicate object

One of the universes I use to build reports was recently cleaned up. One of the things our universe desginer did was identify objects that had matching definitions and he has asked us to modify reports that use either of these objects.

For example, we have two objects with the same defintion, effective date and effective date2. We need to modify the reports that use effective date2 to start using effective date. We need to make sure that any variables within the report that reference effective date2 are updated to refer to effective date. Is there an easy way to do this or will all of the report variables need to be changed manually?

Once we clean up all of the reports that use effective date2, we can remove that from the universe.

We’re on XI 3.1 SP3

Thanks!

dswilkins (BOB member since 2012-11-12)

The key thing here is not to delete that object until you are absolutely positive that there are no reports using it.
To establish what reports are using this object, use the wid scanner (WID Scanner)

If you can’t use this, take the following steps:

Hide object
Rename object to something long winded like “OBSOLETE OBJECT Please use effective date from the class…”

Users won’t see the object for new reports and those that have object in existing queries will see the new long winded description and should be prompted to change its definition…

jemstar :ireland: (BOB member since 2006-03-30)

Have you tried to change object matching in universe remapping window?

AKO (BOB member since 2012-09-12)

The two objects that have the same definition are in the same universe. The universe remapping window, as far as I know, is only visible when you’re actually changing universes. What I’m looking to do is to remap one object to another within the same universe.

dswilkins (BOB member since 2012-11-12)

The safest way to accomplish what you want is to edit the effective date2 object to reference the effective date object. This won’t get rid of the object, but the data will be correct.

erik.stenson :us: (BOB member since 2012-07-30)