BusinessObjects Board

Duplicate Data Provider

Does anyone know if this utility works with 6.1.3? I used it at another client in 5.1.7 and it worked great, just looking for some feedback before I dive into it. Thanks!

cparsons :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-20)

A short question triggered about the discussion on Data Providers: can I do something about the order in which I see them? Can I sort them (oops, 2nd question :lol: ). This because I’ve got several reports with 20+ data providers in them.

HenkK

HenkK :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-02)

I can’t vouch for 6.1.3, but I’ve had no problems with 6.5.1. Since the same version works with 5.1.8 and 6.5.1, I would hope that 6.1.3 would be OK as well.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Unfortunately, data providers appear (and execute) in the order they were added. Since you’re posting in this particular topic, you can create a new document, and copy from old to new in the order you like. Not sure how much work it would be to “salvage” the report as well though.

Dwayne,
Was your utility to copy data providers that would copy union queries, get posted? What is the name as there are a few different versions on this site and the Integra website. I downloaded the multiple version and tried to install them. I am on BO ver 6.5.1, and it kept saying-not authorized to use the document??

Don840 (BOB member since 2005-03-14)

The latest version is here. I can’t explain the “not authorized” message, because the utility has been “saved for all users.” I just tried it with an ID other than my own, and did not get any such message. Any chance you have another add-in or document that is triggering that message?

Even if you do a “save for all users” if a user is working without a BOMain.key (meaning no security domain at all) then something still seems to trigger that message. I ran into that with some samples on the Integra site. My advice is if you’re working in a complete standalone mode (no .KEY file) to go ahead and create one. Use MS Access as a repository or something. It doesn’t matter if you never use it, just create it and see if that solves the problem.

Incidentally, the “duplicate data provider” code from the Integra site is likely to be removed at some point soon. The author has not updated it since version 4, if I am remembering correctly. There are much newer (and better supported) options here on BOB.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Yes, I do have a completely stand alone system. I have BO 6.5.1 installed on my computer with no domain. I cannot install the macro at all as it says not authorized to use the document.
Thx.

Does anyone have a work around this problem?

Dave gave you a workaround to try in this previous post. Did it work?

I did not understand on how to use MS Access and what he meant by creating one? I have access to Designer and Reporter modules only (stand alone full client), with no security domain set up. I tried to add the copy data provider utilities, but could not do so as I kept getting the message, not authorized to use.
Could you give me more details about what the Dave said in his previous post?
Thanks.

Since you don’t have Supervisor, then his workaround is not possible. His suggestion was to create a security domain (with Supervisor) on your own PC using a local Microsoft Access database for the repository.

I have added this tool to one of my users install of bo. I checked it in the add-in box so it seems it should be showing. But when you go under the menu that it shoud appear in (data menu).

We are using the updated version of this tool. We are on 5.1.8. User that is having problems is on XP.

I have other users using this tool and they have no problem. Its showing in their menus. And they are also on same version/same operating system as the user that theese options don’t want to appear.

Any ideas?

Stacy Woodring (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Here are a couple of ideas. When installing it on the user’s workstation, were they logged into BusObj as themself, or did you log in with your ID? I think the add-in settings are user specific.

Something else to try is to have that user log in to another machine (that you know works). After they log in, activate the add-in. If it works, then it’s an issue with their own machine. If it doesn’t work, then it sounds like a Supervisor privileges issue.

Thanks a lot dave and dwayne :smiley: :smiley:

clickme (BOB member since 2005-07-06)

Dwayne, I have used your utility in 6.x and it is awesome. I guess its too early to ask but have you got a new one for XIR2?

Thanks,
Kashif

Kashif Saeed :pakistan: (BOB member since 2004-06-02)

Actually I do have one for XI, and it is necessary because there is some syntax difference. I’ll see if I can get it posted soon.

Hi Dave,

Still i am not clear about copying reports issue.
Yesterday i tried to copy ,it works good .

But today i am doing for same report what i did yesterday, i am getting error40:no rights,cannot edit data provider

pls explain me .
Thanks.

civilreddy (BOB member since 2007-05-04)

Dwayne,
I’m very new to all of this, but I am struggling to move a set of tables created in one Webi document to another document. I’ve read this thread carefully, and no mention is made to Webi documents. I’ve installed your utility (discovered on the way what Deski docs are :oops: ), but it doesn’t help me with moving tables from one Webi document to another.

1. I know you can convert Deski to Webi - but not the other way round. Otherwise I would have done that too…
  2. Is this utility installable in InfoView to copy tables between Webi docs?
    Thanks in advance for your help all - BOB’s a great site!
    Tom

trebollini (BOB member since 2008-02-27)

Dwayne’s code is written in VBA, which is not portable to Webi documents. Unfortunately, there isn’t really an equivalent option that would allow folks to do what is possible in Deski.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)