BusinessObjects Board

Duplicate Data Provider

Interesting. We’ve been looking at 6.x, and haven’t really looked at 5.1.8 at all. I’ll find a place to load 5.1.8 and see if the utility can be fixed. I can’t make any promises on timing though …

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks Dwayne!

Working on the BO without the add-in seems like moving from WINXP to DOS… :wink:

sharone (BOB member since 2002-10-17)

Hi,
I am trying to use the utility for ZABO 5.1.8 and its giving me error.

1. one dataprovider is already loaded.

Any solution to this issue. I am in real problem. Need to merge reports but no time…

Thanks,
-Manoj

045331 (BOB member since 2004-01-23)

Hmmm … this is the second time that error has been reported, but only with version 5.1.8 it seems. It had fallen off my radar, but I’ll try to find some time to look at it. I’ll have to find a place to install 5.1.8, so I’m afraid I can’t make any promises on timing.

Hi,

I am trying to use the Copy Data Provider utility (thanks Dwayne Hoffpauir, for this great utility). Am on BO v6.1a.

However I got the following message: “Run Tim eError ‘91’. Object variable or With Block variable not set”.

Has anybody experienced this, or got the utility to work on v6.1a?

Thanks.

(Pressing the Debugger button resulted in the showing of the following subroutine:

ErrorHandler:
'remove data providers and form from memory
DataProviderFrom.Unload
DataProviderTo.Unload
Unload CopyDataProviderForm

'display error message
MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ":  " & Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Data Provider Copy Error"

End Sub)

Platypus :australia: (BOB member since 2002-10-23)

OK, I finally found some time to look at the problems under V5.1.8 with the copy data provider functionality. The “fix” for Bug No. 1063709 (which I never experienced, but hey) was to simply allow only one data provider to be loaded into memory. The utility has been updated accordingly. Updates were also made to copy the universe domain when creating the new data provider, and to tighten up the error handling.

The updated utility can be found here.

I believe we I have experiance a similar problem. When you have more than one data provider (Same result objects different conditions) BO V6.1a links the data providers automatically(not sure about the inner workings of formentioned utility). This may or may not cause the report to crash or create a run-time report error depending on the mood of the puter, wind or stars (in other words it appear to be random). If you manually unlink your data providers this may solve your problems. I would try create more than one data provider in v6.1a without the Copy Data Provider Utility and try using the built in functionality in V 6.1a.

I hope this helps if not just ignore what I wrote :?

mcliffordgoo :us: (BOB member since 2003-02-13)

Dwayne, I tested the utility in v6.1a and it worked. Thanks a million!

mclifford, thanks for your reply. Puter, wind and stars - never heard it said that way - that’s a new perspective for me!

Platypus :australia: (BOB member since 2002-10-23)

Hi,

I download your utility and I have a message :
“Error 40: No rights, cannot work in drill mode”.

I try to import my universe in another name but the result is the same.

My computer is in windows XP. Do you think it’s the cause of the no running utility in my machine? Have you a clue to help me?

Thanks à lot for your response

GIQUEL (BOB member since 2004-11-17)

I haven’t seen that error message before. On the surface it doesn’t make sense because the utility doesn’t touch the report, so I’m not sure how the “drill mode” matters. Can you try creating a data provider by hand in a blank document, and then copying that data provider with the utility as a test? If that fails too, it must be a privileges (Supervisor) issue. If the test works, it must be something “unique” with your individual report.

I create a data provider by hand in a blank document, and then copying that data provider with the utility. That fails too. I’m connecting in Supervisor so I have all privileges and I have the same message “Error 40 : …”.

I don’t understand.

GIQUEL (BOB member since 2004-11-17)

Yes, several time, this plugin doesn’t work fine and give strange error messages.

You can try

• delete local univers, reimport it
  • save the rea for all users or reinstall it
    *… migrate to e6.1 where dp duplication is available and work fine :wink:

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)

What version of BusObj are you using? Can you try it with a General Supervisor ID to eliminate privileges as the problem?

I tried using the utility and it generates an error code 91 -
Run-time error ‘91’: Object variable or with block variable not set which goes to the macro area “Error Handler: DataProviderTo.Unload”. This happens for all my dataproviders/reports. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Nile

Nile :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-12)

The error handling is quite basic in the utility. It sounds like it’s masking the real error. Temporarily comment out the line that says “On Error GoTo ErrorHandler” and hopefully that will help you debug the underlying problem.

Thanks, commenting that out allowed me to find the real error - “Run Time error ‘114’ Multiple Universe, Select a Repository”. Basically there were 2 different universes with 2 different names (current and lastgood), but the same name in the Universe Parameters. When I changed the name in the Universe Parameters, it worked.
Thanks a lot for this useful utility.
One question though - is it OK to permanently comment that out? It seems like it gives more useful error messages when it is commented out.
Thanks
Nile

Nile :us: (BOB member since 2004-02-12)

Help yourself! Any code here is for learning purposes only. If I ever have a reason to update the utility, I might try to tighten the error handling, but for learning purposes it’s probably best not to have any at all! Best way to learn is by making mistakes, right!

Dwayne,
I have downloaded your application, but I get the following error when trying to copy:
ORA-00936: missing expression :-936

I use Business Objects 5.1.8 and our warehouse is on an Oracle database.
The code seems to crash on the following command:

'remove data providers from memory
            DataProviderFrom.Unload
            DataProviderTo.Unload

The code still copy the dataprovider but the query is blank.

Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Olivier Masse :fr: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Ignore my previous mail. I found the problem. In the code only one of the Dataproviders was loaded.
It works fine thanks.

Olivier Masse :fr: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

I can tell from your description that you were using an earlier version. The latest version of the utility, as described earlier in this thread, has been updated to fix the 5.1.8 issue that you already discovered.