BusinessObjects Board

Drilling together

Hoi everybody,

Has anyone ever tried to make a drill report on which there is a table and a graph, and while drilling on the table, the graphical representation being modified at the same time (A bit like working in Excel, where changing a cell value changes the graph) ?
Nothing urgent, just curious.

Thanks !

Callewier Lieven
lieven.callewier@cronos.be

Listserv Archives (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Hi Lieven,
I have tried to do the same ,but I could not drill on both the chart and table. I found out from BO tech support, they said it is not possible to drill on both at the same time. BO doesn’t support it .Well I was told that they are working on . You can send BO and enhancement request for the same.

Dinesh

Hi everybody,

Has anyone ever tried to make a drill report on which there is a table and a graph, and while drilling on the table, the graphical representation being modified at the same time (A bit like working in Excel, where changing a cell value changes the graph) ? Nothing urgent, just curious.

Thanks !

Callewier Lieven
lieven.callewier@cronos.be

In a message dated 00-03-22 08:45:27 EST, you write:

Has anyone ever tried to make a drill report on which there is a table and a
graph, and while drilling on the table, the graphical representation being modified at the same time (A bit like working in Excel, where changing a cell value changes the graph) ?
Nothing urgent, just curious.

At the moment drilling on multiple blocks is not supported. If you have a multi-block report (table + graph) and you select the Drill button, you have to click on which representation of the data that you want to drill on. If you select the table, your drillable report has only the table block. If you select the chart, then your drillable report has only the chart block.

I’m not sure why they chose that restriction; with the use of Global Filters they could keep the blocks in sync. But I’m sure there is some other reason.

Regards,
Dave Rathbun
Integra Solutions
www.islink.com

Well drilling on multiple blocks is possible. It’s gets tricky when you are dealing with multiple data providers with multiple hierarchies :crazy_face: But it is possible.

After you start/enter drill mode and have selected the block that you would like to drill into. you can copy that block and paste it next to your drillable block. At that point it will reflect your original block’s drill path. :blue:

To use alternate DP’s, after you have copied and pasted the block, just clear the contents of the new block and drag and drop your new objects from your data manager.

Hope this helps, because it drives me crazy :hb:

ohh PS
this is using V6, not sure what happens in V5

Jevan CQ :trinidad_tobago: (BOB member since 2003-11-20)

rubanton – welcome to BOB – but if you’ll notice, the last post before you in this topic was from March, 2000 – almost 4 years ago. And no – drilling together that way did not work in either version 4 nor 5.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

sorry for the late reply. Hard to keep up with the forum at times.
I have an example of this drilling into/accross multiple blocks v5.1.6. I can email it or post it somewhere if you’d like.

or maybe I am doing something different all together?

Jevan CQ :trinidad_tobago: (BOB member since 2003-11-20)

If you can create a sample that works using the eFashion or Island Resorts data (something that everyone has access to) and want to write up instructions on how you created the report, I would suggest that this would be an excellent addition to BOB’s Downloads area. :slight_smile: There are instructions in that forum for sending in submissions.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

rubanton said:

After you start/enter drill mode and have selected the block that you would like to drill into. you can copy that block and paste it next to your drillable block. At that point it will reflect your original block’s drill path

Using Island Resort sample, I couldn´t make it work.
Set the hierarchies, copy and paste after hit the drill button and so on…
When you create this report one is diff from another. So, even in E6, its not working.
Could you provide a rep file that works?

wshiguetaka (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Hi,

Could you please send me the copy of the sample report?
It will be of great help to me…

045331 (BOB member since 2004-01-23)

I can’t find this sample in BOB’s downloads area… is it already there?? :confused:

anyway does anybody know if this functionality will be available in future releases of BO (6.1b or 6.5 or…whatever)??

Thanks,

Schuster :united_arab_emirates: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

I’m aware the last post was in 2004, but yes, Jevan CQ’s workaround worked in version 5.1.6 full client.

ycha :australia: (BOB member since 2006-06-08)

For your information: synchronized drilling (that’s how BO calls it) is possible in BO XIr2. It’s a user preference.

Andy

andy_v_belgium :belgium: (BOB member since 2008-03-04)

hi there,
yes, i understand it’s possible with webi in BOXI R2, but is this possible in deski as well? just don’t have the deski installed at the moment so yeah.
would appreciate your feedback.
thanks!!!

ycha :australia: (BOB member since 2006-06-08)