BusinessObjects Board

Draining Users? (Disable new logins)

Has anyone found a way or know of a 3rd party tool that lets an admin “Drain” users from the system?

What I mean is , to disable new logins, but allow existing login users to continue their sessions.

This is extremely useful when you need to take down a system during business hours, allowing users to continue working but to not allow new users access to the system. Once those users are done, the system is clear and you can restart services or the entire box if needed.

I wouldn’t think it’d be too difficult to create, basically just replacing the login screen with another during the ‘drain’, but before I go and reinvent the wheel, I thought maybe someone might already know of something that’s more efficient.

Redirecting a webpage works great for the Launchpad but does not prevent Live Office or other non Launchpad connections (such as Xcelsius, Client Tools, etc…)

Anyone have any thoughts?

JPetlev (BOB member since 2006-11-01)

If you Disable the WIPS that prevents new logins but I am not sure to what extent existing sessions can continue. Experiment and let us know! Not sure about the other tools though.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

For now I decided to take the easy route.
We have a link to our BOBJ system on our internal website which everyone uses. That link opens in a new window with no toolbar, so users are unable to easily save the link to favorites. (We did that since the URL was changing a lot during initial setup a few years ago)

I simply have created a mechanism by which I can flip a flag in a database to determine where that link points to, either the live system, or a “System Is down for maintenance” webpage that I scribbled out.

It’s dirty and only affects WEBI users here… but it should work for 99% of our users.

I still wish SAP added a sort of user drain mechanism… maybe i’ll add that to the Idea space.

EDIT: Ok added to idea space here

JPetlev (BOB member since 2006-11-01)

I hate how forgetful I’m getting - I swear I used to do this all the time before maintenance.

I believe you’re right, Nick - disable the Webi report servers, and you can’t get a session to login. I swear there was something simpler, though, a disable login switch.

I had to post, just in case something else was contributed…

B

bdouglas :switzerland: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)