BusinessObjects Board

Do's and Don't when at first BO Project?

Hi Franky,

Congrats on your new job, if you’ve got a new job offer!

To be honest, as already highlighted, if you can be more specific on the below things, we can answer to the point.

1. Senior role/ developer ?
  2. Current phase of the project
  3. Size of the project
  4. Is the company IT savvy (you will wonder why I ask this one in 2013! but it will matter at a later stage)

Awaiting response and you will have loads of answers.

Cheers!

Maya Angelou: “When you learn, teach. When you get, give.”

Supernova :uk: (BOB member since 2013-08-30)

I appreciate all the responses.

My first post and wasnt expecting many ppl to respond.

I have a offer from HP. I will be working as a developer and they wanted me to know WebI, Designer, Crystal and Xcelsius. I passed the interview but now i am little nervous as to what will happen when i get there. I start in two weeks. I have shown 3 years experience on my resume. Once again i really appreciate all the responses.

Thanks,
Franky

FRANKYBO (BOB member since 2013-11-21)

Do you have 3 years experience with these products or not?

HenkK

HenkK :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-02)

What experience was it if this will be your first BO project?

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

i have been working in reporting for past 5 years. I took BO training and i didnt find it that difficult and this is the reason i was able to pass the tech Interview. I have used the tools below:

Access
Excel
ADP Reporting in Crystal
Many accounting softwares.

I hold a BA in accounting.

So, you put that you have 3 years BO experience, when in fact you haven’t.

Finding the training not very difficult is one thing. Real life use generally, but not always, surpasses any simple examples used during the training.
I have recruited for may Business Objects roles over the years and have been surprised at the lack of knowledge displayed by some so called experienced candidates.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

I am not sure about others but HP is no joke. So far i have gone through 3 interviews with them and Tech interview lasted an hour. Good thing i read all the guides and practiced. I forgot to mention SQL Server in the list of Reporting tools. I have already worked with Crystal reports and picking up Xcelcius wasnt hard as i am a excel guru. On the other hand, Its not like i am saying i have 5 or 8 years of experience. 3 years is what i can back up so i put that on my resume.

Ummmm :shock: :wink:

I expect they are recruiting for your previous history and BA rather than BusObj experience. I’m sure you couldn’t have blagged a business objects job and not been found wanting in an interview for said job.

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

3 Years experience in Business Objects, yes or no?

Fair enough you have skills in reporting, by the way SQL server is a database not a reporting tool.

Personally, If I was found to be lying on my CV I would expect to be shown the door.
Its actually a criminal offence in the UK to do so.

Thanks for the ethical lecture. Now if you can answer my question, i will appreciate it. Thanks

I’m sure you will go far.
:rotf:

Dont worry about me.

I am only 24 and will be working with HP. I have sufficient knowledge and skills to do my job. :mrgreen:

By the way, by the time i get to your age, i wont have enough time to sit on a forum and give people ethical lectures. I will be a Bussiness partner or something… :yesnod:

Which HP office are you based at? I used to work for them so might be able to give you a few tips.

Bless, lets hope you find the time to learn how to spell.

Moderator note:
To every poster in this thread: Please help keep BOB friendly! Review this topic for some suggestions, thanks.

Remember, no one ist obliged to answer and sometimes it might just be wise to not take part in a thread/topic at all.

Thanks.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Have you seen what you have wrote:

“I have recruited for may Business Objects roles over the years and have been surprised at the lack of knowledge displayed by some so called experienced candidates.”

I was right about you. Talking to you is like :hb:

Is that any worse than what you said to him:

As Andreas has said, we have forum rules and would appreciate it if you read them. :+1:

Moderator note: Please keep the topic focused on the original question. If that isn’t possible, we will have to lock the topic.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

My apologies for the remarks above. I shouldnt have said that.

To keep things on topic:

1. Be prepared to learn have to learn A LOT in a very short space of time.
  2. This forum is invaluable; use the experts here when you hit a brick wall.
  3. When the sign says “Don’t feed the bears”, DON’T FEED THE BEARS.

That last one is more general advice.

Welcome to BOB :mrgreen:

NMG

mcnelson :uk: (BOB member since 2008-10-09)